Steer is breathing hard

Help Support CattleToday:

Bdubbs55

Reaction score
No other noticeable symptoms but he is just breathing hard. Anyone have any ideas? It just started within the last day or so. Any help is appreciated.

Is he bloated? Is it just breathing hard, or is it breathing hard, and raspy? Just put out bedding, or moldy hay? More information needed.

Had the something similar happen to a couple of 550lb steers this fall while being weaned. Had Vet out to Bangs the heifers and he suggested Baytril 100, and called me in an order. After picking it up I gave them a 10cc shot and a day later they were noticeably better. He recommended 2nd dose 48hrs after first. So as other have suggested, a phone call to your vet would be a good idea.

Only symptom is breathing hard. Still seems to be eating well and chewing cud. Talked to a local vet and he recommended some LA300 so got that on order just in case we need it. I think we caught it in the early stages if it turns out to be somthing. Thank you to all who replied. I will try to post an update if we figure anything out

I tend not to comment on suspected respiratory conditions as we get very little pneumonia here in grazing animals due to our climate I guess. Ones I have seen are usually associated with BVD, not PI's but actually getting the virus and having a transient viraemia. The immune system takes a hit and pneumonia causing organisms take hold.

Ken

Curious why the vet you talked to suggested LA300. What did he suspect may be wrong? Is/was the steers temp normal?
He may not keep the likes of Draxin in stock TC. Here I would have to drive a couple hundred kilometers to get some from a vet or something equivalent. Like I said we have very little problems with pneumonia here with grazing animals.

Ken

He may not keep the likes of Draxin in stock TC. Here I would have to drive a couple hundred kilometers to get some from a vet or something equivalent. Like I said we have very little problems with pneumonia here with grazing animals.

Ken
Good point. I don't know where the OP is located. I was just wondering if the vet thought it was respiratory, why he would recommend a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Draxxin, Baytril, LA, Norfenicol, are all broad spectrum in what bacteria they effect, they just have different modes of action.
LA is cheap, OTC, and works fine on most mild pneumonia cases, as long as you don't mind giving multiple injection per treatment.
Vet probably didn't want to mess with the paper work, and procurement, of a Rx drug.

Latest posts