hanging weigh or live weight

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't know about the laws, but if you buy a live animal from me you pay live weight. If you purchase beef by the half, it's sold by hanging weight.

I quess I am also asking why is the meat labeled not for sale? Is this meat not looked at by the usda.

jselkir":1a4nyc9e said:
I quess I am also asking why is the meat labeled not for sale? Is this meat not looked at by the usda.

Yup. You must have it inspected if you are going to resell the beef once it is processed.

Has to be processed by a USDA facility to be sold to the public.
Live animals are sold by live weight or by the head. To be processed in a non-usda facility it is intended for the end-user and is labled "not for sale".
Alot of folks sell by the hanging weight and I have not heard of anybody being busted for the practice but it is illegal. Some sell by the head with the cost determined by the hanging weight...sounds shady...
DMc

LEt me "weigh - in" (HA HA) on this topic. If you take your animal to the local processor and are going to have it packaged to take home and put in your freezer, for your consumption it is stamped "Not For Sale" and is commonly referred to as a "Custom Kill". If you are selling to someone and delivering it to the packer for them it would be referred to as a "Commercial Kill". In this state, BOTH are inspected so as to protect the end user of the meat.
Worked the kill floor for a few summers - nice, warm, smelly job !

Latest posts