Hands - What do you prefer

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy

Reaction score
I have talked to a lot of folks who say they want or like a horse to be 16 hands. Why so big? I prefer my cow horses to be 14-15 hands.

What is your preference?

My horse is 16.3 hands. He's a little taller than I would like, because it makes it difficult for an old guy to get on and off. But I can see a long way from waay up there. And it's a good incentive to not fall off. But, we know each other and both understand our limitations. (He's almost as lazy as I am.)

That being said, if I was choosing strictly on the basis of height, I'd go with 14.3 or 15 hands.

Between 14/15 hands---never turn down a good horse because on an inch or two tho..

I agree with Jim62...14-15 hands is about right for me too. My horse, like his is 16.3-it IS tough to get in and out of the saddle-but, like peg4x4 says...never turn down a good horse for an inch or 2-or because of the color or the gender... :cboy:

Im 6 foot 4 and weigh220lbs. I feel silly sitting on a little 15HH horse. There are other reasons though for bigger horses. Depends on what your needs are. Anyway I like em over 16HH, take a size 0 shoe or bigger. Good whithers are really important to me too.
The problem with a lot of QHs around here are most are 14.2HH or smaller. Take 00 shoe (sometimes thats even to big), have no whithers and are just to small boned for any kind of a real job.
Anyway I want my horses geared fast.

I'm only 5'10" and I find it difficult to get on an off a tall horse. After my wreck last week (that I documented in another thread), I am liking being closer to the ground (my dang thumb still hurts...) Anyway, long story short 14/15 hands is just right for me. Now, if I was making all day rides in West Texas, I'd want something taller and longer with a nice smooth trot. But that's not what I do.

That said, there's alot to be said for proportion. A big rider on a small horse just looks wrong.

I have one that is 14 flat and the other is 15.3+ with a fresh trim job. I am 5'5" so it is a lot easier to get on and off the 14h horse. Ideally 15hh would be perfect for me. I am hoping that filly my 14h horse foaled this year will mature to 15 hands as her sire was 15.1 and still growing.

Like Horse Guy, I'm 6'4 and I wish 220, but more like 260lbs :(. My QH gelding is 15.3 and about 1400lbs and takes a 0 shoe. If I get on a horse smaller than 15hh I feel like I can click my heels together under him/her.

It seems to me the northern parts of the country prefer the bigger horses. My uncle used to do alot of horse trading and he said he always found the "big uns" up north in Montana, Idaho and the dakotas..where-as the smaller horses were found down here. Reasoning? Down here, less is more, a smaller horse eats less. My uncle used to joke they needed them 16 hand monsters to forge the snowdrifts up there.

My horses are in the 15 hand range and I like them like that. When I grew up, in the english world, we wanted BIG, 17 hands was the norm for the event horses. I cant fathom that now.

My 14.3-15 handers can turn on the cow well, but arent so tiny I feel like Im on a pony.

Alan":2uyemkwa said:
Like Horse Guy, I'm 6'4 and I wish 220, but more like 260lbs :(. My QH gelding is 15.3 and about 1400lbs and takes a 0 shoe. If I get on a horse smaller than 15hh I feel like I can click my heels together under him/her.

I like the shorter ones Alan. I figure they are closer to the ground. :lol2: I understand the tall guys feelings though. I know a ranch down here that use all Cracker horses and some pretty big men ride them. Those Cracker horses will carry a 250 pounder all day and not even break a sweat. I was looking for one when I bought Idiot. :D

I like my horse about 15 h, and about 12 to 1300 lbs. and has a faster gate. I hate getting there last. My horse is retired and like me has arthritis. He hasn't seen a saddle in five years. Tom :cboy:

Its not just about the horse being in proportion to the rider.
Its the way the horse is geared. Im no expert on heading or barrel horses but the top ones are bigger than say a cutting horse. Ive got TB crosses that will blow the doors off of your average QH. But even just for getting from point A to B at a walk my longer legged horses will get me there faster. So IMO there better for covering miles or stuff like pasture roping.
There are many disadvantages to long legged or just plain bigger horses. If your riding on extreme hills especially snow covered or wet and muddy slopes your average horse (pony)can do a better job of it. Your ponies are going to have an advantage in sports like cutting and your bigger horses are always going to dominate the 2 mile race track or sports like show jumping.

Horse Guy":3tm7x3sw said:
Its not just about the horse being in proportion to the rider.
Its the way the horse is geared. Im no expert on heading or barrel horses but the top ones are bigger than say a cutting horse..

Not entirely so...I used to own a bigger horse who was a top 1-2 d rodeo barrel horse in the north.

Down here in texas, he wasnt. The pens down here are so much tinier, the smaller cattier horses win. Up north, the pens are bigger, so the big horses can stretch out and use their stride. There are exceptions to every rule, but this is something that Ive come to see. my horse is now back in the north, winning. He was a big horse and does well up there.

So, it also depends on what area of the country you are in as well

Like the other tallies, I'm 6'5". If I ride anything under 16hh, my feets drag the ground.

But as I just posted in another thread, a friend just gave me a Saddle mare and filly. The mare is roughly 15.5, and the filly at 1 yr. is as tall as her mom.

warpaint":3qd19y10 said:
Like the other tallies, I'm 6'5". If I ride anything under 16hh, my feets drag the ground.

But as I just posted in another thread, a friend just gave me a Saddle mare and filly. The mare is roughly 15.5, and the filly at 1 yr. is as tall as her mom.

What is the bred WP? Are you saying the filly is 15.5 hands or is she from another mare?

flaboy":16j2ab9m said:
warpaint":16j2ab9m said:

What is the bred WP? Are you saying the filly is 15.5 hands or is she from another mare?

She's a Spotted Saddle. The stud she came from was huge. While the filly wouldn't be at 15.5 yet she's gonna be a monster.

I think a horse should sized for his job. I like a 14 hand horse for calving (on and of all day) but ride 16 pls 1300 lbs horses for doctering and covering big country all day . Used to think roping a ton bull on a 900 lbs horse was fun . Not anymore . must be getting old

My horse is a big un. She is a TWH that stands right at 16 hands. She is built more like a quarter horse with width and muscle but gates. I am a big feller....6ft and 250 pounds so I needed a big stout horse. She hauls me around with no problem. I went from a short, stocky gelding to this tall, big boned, long legged mare. It feels like I am 20 feet in the air on her back. She has a very long stride so her lazy walk is like some horses trot. I get there fast.