Hams are on

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Got a decent pictorial in the works. When its all done ill post it.
And now Codeys out back dove hunting. Got one on the smoker now too. Need about 20 more for dinner tho

hooknline":3vl66gbo said:
Got a decent pictorial in the works. When its all done ill post it.
And now Codeys out back dove hunting. Got one on the smoker now too. Need about 20 more for dinner tho
I see you are about to take credit for your maids cooking again. :cowboy:

Yep. But the butler helped out too so i have to give him credit also. He'll shoot, clean and cook anything i tell him to. Squirrell, dove,quail, sand hill cranes, whooping cranes, red tails. Etc. he dont care.

Just when I was imagining the wonderful aroma of smoking ham, you tossed in the squirrel bit. :shock: Please, no photos of that! Completely ruined my nasal fantasy. :lol:

:lol: we just pulled the squirrel off the smoker and he tried it. Spit the first bite tight out and tries another. I was laughing so hard at the look on his face i fell outta my chair.
I guess squirrell is no longer on his menu

The hams took on a different look than i expected after being in the fridge this morning. Took em out and let the temp come up a bit
photo-32.jpg

Got em on around 11 and let the drinking begin
photo-39.jpg

About 2 hrs into it now
photo-38.jpg

Then i decided to smoke some beans and also this critter decided to join the mix
photo-33.jpg

photo-37.jpg

photo-36.jpg

Getting there
photo-35.jpg

And 8 hrs later theyre done.
photo-34.jpg

Hook, the hams started out looking like you fed TOO MANY hard-boiled eggs! Improved as they cooked. The proof will be in the taste!

That poor little squirrel....but I could have done without the head sitting there staring back. Your son sure isn't squeamish, is he?

Merry Christmas and Happy Eating!

Well ya know Gale the eggs are the secret. :D
Sorry bout the squirrell. Goober asked me to put that up. Merry Christmas to you as well

On the lighter side, we gave one of our cured hams to a buddy since he'll eat dern near anything :???:
Now hes a good ol boy from some small town called Boston, Ga and he has an affliction in the fact that he cant eat enuf salt. I figured hed be the perfect candidate for a cured ham that i had tried a different twist on.
This particular good ol boy thought the last cured ham i gave him was the best hed ever had. He mumbled something about this one beating the last one but it was hard to say since he never stopped fillin his craw with the stuff.
photo-40.jpg

Mustard rub? I don't care for mustard at all, but on the smoker, something magic happens. Kinda like beef and red wine I guess - it becomes more than the sum of its parts. One of the best hams we ever smoked was with apple cider basting. Took a lot of the saltiness out of the ham and it was very tender. Those look fantastic, wish we could taste them across the internet.

No mustard in that rub. Evo, orange blossom honey, garlic, salt, pepper, ground cloves, lemon juice, a little red wine vinegar, some chili powder. Wanted a sweet taste with some zing to it that came on late.

hooknline":1xd11v5v said:
Yep. But the butler helped out too so i have to give him credit also. He'll shoot, clean and cook anything i tell him to. Squirrell, dove,quail, sand hill cranes, whooping cranes, red tails. Etc. he dont care.
Are you aware that it against Federal law to kill a whooping crane. I believe there are less than 500 left in the world. You may want to make him aware of that. The penalty is not light!

Very much aware of that fact. It was a light hearted joke.
We have 2 pairs of em that have been spending the last month in our field. Dancing, throwing sticks in the air, even throwing chunks of cow pues in the air. Neat to watch from not even 100 yds away

And if theres inly 500 left they must all be in my small little town. We get over run with them every year this time of year

Latest posts