hamburger

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
I need a bit of help.

A very good American style restaurant has asked me for samples of different hamburger. They want to create a unique product, but without use of commercial binding agents and preferably little or no egg.

Has anyone got a proven recipe I can try to give the lady more options, she is really after a neutral beef taste with a nice texture (slightly coarse) with just a little something to make it unique. It needs to be able to freeze well and also last a week in the cold room when thawed.

Any advice will greatly be appreciated.

Teriyaki Burger...

Mix Well:

Ground Beaf
Teriyaki Sauce (or marinate)
Some diced green peppers
Some diced onions

Form into patties

Grill over flame (not "boiled" like Micky D's do...lol).

Serve on bun with slightly melted sharp cheddar cheese slice.

Optional topping: Guacamole.

KNERSIE":14b14bdv said:
I need a bit of help.

A very good American style restaurant has asked me for samples of different hamburger. They want to create a unique product, but without use of commercial binding agents and preferably little or no egg.

Has anyone got a proven recipe I can try to give the lady more options, she is really after a neutral beef taste with a nice texture (slightly coarse) with just a little something to make it unique. It needs to be able to freeze well and also last a week in the cold room when thawed.

Any advice will greatly be appreciated.

Then give her natural.

Some straight hamburger with onions and a touch of garlic.

Dress the burger down to taste.

Start there and experiment.

You might be surprized at what happens.

Bez>

2 lbs of good ground beef or chuck - none of that 60/40 junk
1 package of dehydrated Lipton onion soup mix
Pepper

This works for me.

Salt, pepper, and Worcestershire(sp?) is all I use.

Pinto beans?? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Make up all the recipes you want but make mine a plain burger. Doesn't need anything else. Now guess what breed of hamburger is on my plate.

Angus Guy":131k4mue said:
Make up all the recipes you want but make mine a plain burger. Doesn't need anything else. Now guess what breed of hamburger is on my plate.

charolais, or simmental, perhaps, pork, could be lamb! ;-) ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Katy

A unique product these days would probably be just a really good quality meat with salt. So many places have "fake" tasting burgers. I think she would do well if she left out any extra ingredients. I want the real thing when I eat a burger.

If you want you could cook up several of the suggestions on here and let her see which ones she likes. I don't know that I would tell her up front what the ingredients were that way she wouldn't form an opinion before trying them.

MikeC":3slfw8xw said:
Salt, pepper, and Worcestershire(sp?) is all I use.

Pinto beans?? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Knersie said something about wanting to use non commercial binding agents. A very popular hamburger shack here used pinto beans. Added a hint of flavor and worked very well as a binding agent. The old guy made a fortune with it. You wanna argue with success, be my guest...

Alice

Angus Guy wrote:

charolais, or simmental, perhaps, pork, could be lamb!

Soy?!?!?!?

What I neglected to say was that the burger will need to be able to be flame grilled without falling apart. I agree the more natural the better, my main concern is getting it to bind and not fall apart on the grill.

I tend to agree with bez, just plain 100% beef will most likely be a unique product.

Thanks ofr the suggestions and keep more coming.

KNERSIE":2c39q3by said:
What I neglected to say was that the burger will need to be able to be flame grilled without falling apart. I agree the more natural the better, my main concern is getting it to bind and not fall apart on the grill.

I tend to agree with bez, just plain 100% beef will most likely be a unique product.

Thanks ofr the suggestions and keep more coming.

I'm no expert on this by any means. But my butcher doesn't grind up a lot of fat in our burger and it doesn't shrink much or break apart when cooked on the grill. Seems when you add fat, the burger wants to shrink and break apart as the fat is cooked off. Also, after we make a patty we stick our finger in the center of the patty to make a small indention. This helps the patty keep its shape.

I have had several people say it was the best hamburgers they have ever tasted. I'd like to say its cause I have good cattle but that would be a stretch. Really think it all has to do with the amount of fat you put in the ground beef. After all, its ground beef not ground fat.

Salt and pepper is all I ever add to my beef and NEVER have burgers fall apart. I have my burger ground 85-90 % lean. Add garlic, onion, steak sauce, why?? I love the flavor of GOOD BEEF. Mine are Angus and Angus cross. I don't know what would cause burger to fall apart. Really dry? Maybe mix with a little water?

mnmtranching":1h7071th said:
Salt and pepper is all I ever add to my beef and NEVER have burgers fall apart. I have my burger ground 85-90 % lean. Add garlic, onion, steak sauce, why?? I love the flavor of GOOD BEEF. Mine are Angus and Angus cross. I don't know what would cause burger to fall apart. Really dry? Maybe mix with a little water?

Burgers fall apart due to shrinkage from loss of excess fat and water and whatever else is added to the commercial stuff.

I think that is why K has been approached about supplying burger. The commercial stuff is a problem.

Bez+

Bez+":3os54os0 said:
mnmtranching":3os54os0 said:

Burgers fall apart due to shrinkage from loss of excess fat and water and whatever else is added to the commercial stuff.

I think that is why K has been approached about supplying burger. The commercial stuff is a problem.

Bez+

You are right, Bez+, that is why I have been approached, burger patties have never been my speciality, making them in big quantities are simply too time consuming to be profitable when you have other means of disposing the same meat for the same profit. This is an opportunity to get a foot in the door in a very good restaurant that doesn't mind paying for quality. I have been supplying speciality cuts for them for some time as needed. I make a more commercial patty for the cheaper market, but although its quite good, its not what I want to offer her.

Nothing like 95-98% Texas Longhorn ground beef! And...it doesn't fall apart! Hardly no shrinkage when cooking.

Yes, some fast food places probably use 70% lean...from some foreign country or from other cheap source. Claim their burgers are "flavorful"... must be all the flavor enhancing steroids and feedlot additives...lol.

Too much fat in ground beef, ground the wrong way, can lead to falling apart and a real greasy burger that you need to chase down with a vinegar soaked pickle and straight shot of Tequilla to cut the grease in your mouth...

"Naturally grass fed Longhorn Beef"...git er done!

KNERSIE":11rdrg8o said:
Bez+":11rdrg8o said:
mnmtranching":11rdrg8o said:

Bez+

You are right, Bez+, that is why I have been approached, burger patties have never been my speciality, making them in big quantities are simply too time consuming to be profitable when you have other means of disposing the same meat for the same profit. This is an opportunity to get a foot in the door in a very good restaurant that doesn't mind paying for quality. I have been supplying speciality cuts for them for some time as needed. I make a more commercial patty for the cheaper market, but although its quite good, its not what I want to offer her.

Well, what I would do is use the Bez+ family style burger - which is probably the same as many on this place.

Get some home grown beef - running about the lean to very lean fat content - and cook a few up.

If it is a restaurant - and it is - I would invite the chef and owner to come over for some experimentation.

Then I would give them - yes - give - about 100 patties to try. Test run. They are already clients so this is probably a great marketing strategy for the long term.

You have everything to lose if you do not work with them and a lot to win if you do. I know you know this - so do not blow it!! :lol:

I would work - in my kitchen - with the chef and owner - and make several different combinations of meat and "stuff".

Stuff being spices that they might want to try and spices that you might want to suggest. Have a few folks over, and feed them - or make the dogs REAL happy.

I am almost certain you will find a burger about 3/4's of an inch thick and 4-5 inches across will cook up very nicely without breaking apart. If it is lean, it will cook very much like a steak - timewise.

If it does break then look at the egg addition - I do not like it - but folks in a restaurant are in business to sell food and make a profit.

Much thicker or thinner and it becomes a restaurant chef problem - one must remember the chef is on a schedule and things must flow - so consistancy MUST be there. Cooking time and "cookability" of the product are VERY important.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

Bez+