Hamburger on Steroids

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
When I was younger I found myself in Chicago and tasted my first gyro and fell in love with them. This is not something found on the menus around here so I got the idea I might change this. I've toyed around making it with lamb but lamb is expensive and sometimes hard to find I recently got the idea to make some out of beef. Took about 8 lbs of burger and turned this

Into this.

This is indescribably delicious. The beef, I think, adds a better taste to the gyro loaf than lamb. I don't think I'll have any problem selling it.

It's got to have cucumber dressing. We have a Indian place (red dot kind, not sitting Bull kind) that makes a pretty good one. And a Greek place in the mall that is fair. I tried my first one year's ago at the mall in Panama city that was the best I had ever had.

The meat is just a gyro loaf made out of ground beef rather than lamb. The bread is just a flour tortilla and the dressing is Tzatziki Sauce which is nothing more than yogurt, garlic, cucumber, lemon juic, dill, and olive oil ground up. I made this last year using lamb but I think its better with beef - not to mention cheaper. Here is a link to Alton Brown's recipe which this is based off of.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

I love gyros! That looks really, really, really good. I am so hungry I'm scared right now so that picture is not helping :mrgreen: