Halter Training

Help Support CattleToday:

Mango1

Reaction score
My son just got a new heifer, she's a pretty little thing, but is also a little nuts. She came off a local ranch and hasn't been handled at all. We can trade her if she doesn't calm down, but my son really likes her, so we want to do what we can to get her settled. She is 11 months old and right now she is is a pen about 25x 40 with a very gentle steer. She has been there a week .She gets nervous if you just stand beside the pen. If you get too close even from the outside she runs to the opposite end. If you go in the pen you can't get close at all. If he feeds her she won't go near it until we leave.She has a halter on (put it on in the squeeze chute). Would we do well to put her in a stall and tie and handle her? Or should we just keep her where she is a little longer? Please help!! Thanks in advance.

#1 you mentioned she didnt come to the feed when your next to it. i'd stay out there as long as i could (if this is a nice heifer), but dont look at her. Look at something else or bring something to read or listen too out there.

#2 if that dont work then put her in the chute and get a halter on her. then tie her up to a stong post on a short rope and just rub her all over without letting the heifer go too crazy. Within days you'll probably be able to see a difference in this.

Give her rewards for doing this good if she does. but remember, if your gonna show this thing her attitude is gonna have to come around 100%. although your son might like her she may have to go and be traded for a more calm one.

Although I am far from being an expert, here's how we break ours to halter.

1. tie them to a stout post. (preferabbly in the middle of a lot)
2. feed and water at this spot for 3 or 4 days, never moving them.
3. take away feed and water for a day.
4. setting feed and water about 15 ft. away, and leading them to it. (it often helps to have 2 people at this stage, 1 on the lead, the other behind.)
5. move feed and water a little further each day.

Before long they get to associate you with their feed. The most important thing is to gain their trust. Never use the lead as a means of discipline.
Hope this helps.

This is what I would do. Take away all water. Have your son go out with a couple of buckets of water. I probably don't have to say it but make sure they are getting enough water using this method. The steer will of course come to drink and hopefully the heifer will follow. If not take away the water and try again later on. If she still doesn't come, do not give in and water he, she doesn't come she doesn't drink. The next day do the same thing. If by the end of the second day she has not come to drink with your son standing a few feet away from the bucket I would send her back. There are too many nice heifers in the world to deal with the idiots.
If it does work then keep with the system until the heifer is relaxed drinking out of the bucket with your son there, make sure he stays still. When that happens let her have free choice water and do the same thing with grain. After a few days have him touch her while she is eating, she will probably shy away but should come right back. Continue until he can touch her while eating without her spooking away.
I think it is important to watch her though, some cows that are skittish will come right around, they just don't know that people can be nice. Others though just have bad personalities. If there is any question then don't keep her, the last thing you want is your son getting hurt.
Let us know what happens!
:)

I too am far from being an expert, but here is what we do:
1. Tie the animal to a strong post with head up high. Make sure it's not to high, however. We usually leave them tied up high for a few days, 30 minutes-1 hr at a time.
2. After that, Comb the animal (real easy). Start with the neck and move backwards. Sometimes it takes a few days to get all around the animal. If the animal kicks, you can use a glove on the end of a showstick to get to the rear.
3. If the animal is still acting up, sometimes putting water all over them calms them down (then repeat step 2)
4. After you have done this for a week or so, start walking them within a small area to feed or water. As was suggested before, slowly start moving the feed/water further away.

Through all this, I would recommend moving easy and slowly around the animal. Good Luck!

All of the above work great. I have used all those methods before.

In your situtation heres what I would do. She needs reassurance that you are not going to hurt her, let her settle down. Run her into a head catch and halter her. Wash her while in the head catch. Start at the feet and work you way up so she gets used to the water. Dry her in there as well. (it might be a little tricky to dry in there, but i have done it before) Then take the halter off and let her out. repeat this a few times. After a few times of that, instead of washing, let her out of the head catch w/ the halter on. Try to go straight forward to a post or something. Tie her about shoulder high (her shoulder), this will prevent her from jumping up and getting caught in something. Then rub her all over, or brush her all over. Leave her tied up for a while, but never let her out of your sight. Untie her and let her go. I do not recommend leaving the halter on when you are not working simply because when she has a halter on, it should mean that it is time to work. Repeat this and each day walk a little further to tie her up. Soon you will be able to wash, dry, and walk her with no problem.!!!!

Hope this helps
Colorado :D

ilfarmer92":1s2le7kx said:
#1 you mentioned she didnt come to the feed when your next to it. i'd stay out there as long as i could (if this is a nice heifer), but dont look at her. Look at something else or bring something to read or listen too out there.

#2 if that dont work then put her in the chute and get a halter on her. then tie her up to a stong post on a short rope and just rub her all over without letting the heifer go too crazy. Within days you'll probably be able to see a difference in this.

Give her rewards for doing this good if she does. but remember, if your gonna show this thing her attitude is gonna have to come around 100%. although your son might like her she may have to go and be traded for a more calm one.

i agree. But when you rub on her use a broom or small rake thats what we use. i hope she gentals down

can someone give me some advise as to how we can make our heifer walk on a lead she has a great personality and will let you do just about anything with her but walk and that doesnt help much in the show ring. we have tried everything people have told us locally maybe someone here can help...THanks :D
she is a char x brama and was born in march

Onlybleve":2xy0klh9 said:
can someone give me some advise as to how we can make our heifer walk on a lead she has a great personality and will let you do just about anything with her but walk and that doesnt help much in the show ring. we have tried everything people have told us locally maybe someone here can help...THanks :D
she is a char x brama and was born in march

How big is she? This may help...it may not. This is what i do when i first break my calves, and sometimes when i get a stubborn one.

Never get ahead of them when you are pulling. Stay next to her face. Put your hand as close to the ring (on a show halter or the part where the lead comes out on a poly one). Tug. What i mean by this is use short little jerks. Keep going until she gets the point to move. As soon as she moves a foot, lay off the tugging and pat her. Then do it again. This may take a while. Sooner or later she will get the idea that she doesn't want her face jerked on like that and she will willingly walk.

Try that first. If it doesn't work PM me. :D

we just start out tying them up for a few hours every day and increase the time as they tolerate it. By 4H time they are good to go. We also have a home made walker that we use behind the truck if they are insistent on not walking the boys.
We have known people that pull the calves behind the tractor but we try to avoid that.

warpaint":2zsjjee5 said:
Although I am far from being an expert, here's how we break ours to halter.

1. tie them to a stout post. (preferabbly in the middle of a lot)
2. feed and water at this spot for 3 or 4 days, never moving them.
3. take away feed and water for a day.
4. setting feed and water about 15 ft. away, and leading them to it. (it often helps to have 2 people at this stage, 1 on the lead, the other behind.)
5. move feed and water a little further each day.

Before long they get to associate you with their feed. The most important thing is to gain their trust. Never use the lead as a means of discipline.
Hope this helps.
This is what I would do unless you've got a donkey......

i am not sure if this would help any but it seems to help me alot . i have been raising steers and heifers for a while and i really never seem to get one that starts off calm they are usually really rank but by the time im done with them they are like puppy dogs . i would start out with if the steer that is with her can be put on a lead rope and he is handlable take him and tie him up in the pen some were were she can see you/him and can come up to you/him if she wants .give the steer a hay net full of alfalfa, t/a or good tiffton 44 and just sit and brush him soon she will get jelous that he has hay and is getting attention and she will aproach this may take a couple of days but it should work . another thing you could try is take the other steer away from her make it to were she had no other animal contact so she has no other choice but to look to you as a friend and just keep your visits consistant and talk to her alot , tell her its ok . hope i helped a little :cboy:

When we get new calves that are not use to people I have my kids tie them to a post and just sit out there with them and talk to them or read a book to them, this gets the school work out of the way and working with the calf at the same time. After a couple of days of doing this they brush them with a broom everyday until the calf will stand calm then they use a brush. When trying to get them to lead alfa cubes work great. What ever you do always stay calm. It's all about building trust. Another thing when you go to feed her put a chair out there next her feed bucket and just sit until she comes over to eat and just continue sitting there while she eats just ignoring her so she learns your not there to hurt her. Good Luck

Latest posts