halter question

Help Support CattleToday:

gabbyellepaige

Reaction score
okk i got this halter last year for my steer,
rchll.jpg

and since he seemed to be fine with it i put it on my heifer.
i want her to get used to the chain underneath for when i get a leather halter.
so far she doesnt like it.
she wouldnt walk for me that well today, she does better with a regular rope halter.
i dont know wether i should leave this one on her so she gets used to the chain, or put the
rope halter back on her because she likes it better?
replies?

I normally use one of those, called a hackamore. Fantastic things. Your little heifer is quite edgy so perhaps the sound is spooking her a little. Persist with it though. Tie her up with it on. Perhaps even leave it on her and keep her in a yarded area (any area needs to be free of anything she can catch herself on). When she eats and drinks it'll make a noise, so if the noise is the issue she'll soon get over it. Otherwise get someone behind you while you walk her in it. Just to give her a reminder touch if she doesn't want to walk. Eventually she'll get used to it.

I do not like that style of halter, if you leave it on them they out grow it; once they have been on them you can't adjust it easy. I have also had the chain snap. We use the rope halter and only when you are working them the rest of the time they are free. For the show halter get some Vet Rap, it comes in all different colors, so you can match the halter. Wrap it around the chain on the lead; you will notice a huge difference on how she responds to the halter.

We tie the calves in the barn so they are looking into the breezeway, they see everything, tractors, dogs, wheel barrows, you name it, we also play music in the barn so they get used to sounds and it helps them relax.

just do what vcc said put vet rap on it that will make it easier on them and you because it is easier on the hands

if she doesnt deal with the hackamore, just work her with the rope halter. when she is quiet enough to be close to a show, try her with the leather halter at home. She shouldnt take long to get used to the chain under her chin, the feeling and noise of it. I've never really had one that didnt get over it after the first few clinks. You can put it under her normal rope halter and lead her off the rope halter, so she gets used to the feel and noise of it but you arent actually pulling the chain tight on her. if that makes sense.

Latest posts