Halter Breaking

Help Support CattleToday:

chappo

Reaction score
My son will be showing his first steer this year. We purchased a steer off of a local ranch, and want to start halter breaking the steer. The steer is about 600lbs and is right off of the range. Not real runny but not raised in a pen. Just looking for some info, most of the posts I come across pertain to steers that are somewhat raised in a controlled environment, I just need info on range cattle.Thank you

I'd start off by putting him in a pen with a buddy, just the two of them. Then have your son feed the calves every day so the calves get used to associating him with food.

my current heifer was pulled off pasture the day i went to go get her.
what i did was just leave the halter on if there is nothing to get it caught on,
let it drag the ground so that they get used to it.
if you can take it off and put it on as is that is fine aswell.
once he gets used to the halter start tying him up,
id start by tying him just to were he is parallel give some slack when he is tyed up.
and start tying his head higher as time progresses, since when you show
their heads have to be high this just trains them to hold their head up so that
when showtime comes you dont have to keep just pulling his head up.
if you can get a halter with a ring in it so that when he pulls it tightens up,
but once he stops fighting, it takes pressure off of his head, sort of a reward system.
and just tie him up everyday, brush him, let him get used to you.
then just start walking him, id start off in a small pen,
or any confined space and work to walking him out on a pasture.

use the laso for putting the halter on it my look like they are choking but it will break them a lot fast that is what i have been doing for the past 10 years
good luck :D

I put the steer in a chute and put the halter on him, I left it on so he can just drag the rope around. This was yesterday (Sunday) just wondering how long before I tie him up and when should I take it off. I appreciate all of everyone's information and tips. Thank You

I leave the halter drag for only 2-3 days. But I also tie them up during this time and brush them. After 2-3 days I take the halter off and catch them each time.

chappo":qxto7w73 said:
I put the steer in a chute and put the halter on him, I left it on so he can just drag the rope around. This was yesterday (Sunday) just wondering how long before I tie him up and when should I take it off. I appreciate all of everyone's information and tips. Thank You
id start tying him up as soon as you can, let him fight it out or see if he is a-ok with it:)
id leave it on him for a couple of days take it off see if you can get it back on him the next day,
if not then leave it on for another 2-3 days then take it off again repeat.

Steer is not real crazy about letting you get the rope. Once you do he doesn't really get to crappy, just a little concerned if I take off the halter may not be able to catch him to put it back on.

chappo":3f4mc436 said:
Steer is not real crazy about letting you get the rope. Once you do he doesn't really get to crappy, just a little concerned if I take off the halter may not be able to catch him to put it back on.

Your not his buddy yet then. Spend some time with him. Not just feed and water and then say bye.

Brush him talk to him and tie him up every day. Keeping them tied up for longer and longer helps. Then start to walk him. When you become friends then you can walk up to him put on the halter and lead him around. He wont want to walk at first but keep working with him and dont give up. Every steer, heifer or whatever is different. Hope you get him broke

chappo":340yg6ej said:
Make sure you're watching that halter so it's not giving him sores or cutting into him.

I dont post much, but I dont like a lot of the advice given in this thread so Ill tell you what 30 years has taught me.

- Put the calf in a stall 10x10 or so.
- Use a rope halter and stand in the middle of the stall and just throw the rope at him, on his back, legs, head... this is used to desensitize the calf, during this same time I will use a show stick to rub across their back and under their belly, also to desensitize
- I will then use the show stick and hook the top of the rope halter and slip it on the calfs head. I will let him drag it for a few days, but during this same time I am still throwing a rope and rubbing a stick on him. and i will grab the end of the halter to pull to introduce that to him.
- I then will tie him up toward the bottom of a post (incase he flips and falls wont hurt himself) i am still rubbing him with a stick and using the show stick ( i never leave them tied overnight until i c an get them to walk
- getting them to walk is easy. Simply hold them off of water for a half a day, and walk them to water. It is very important to pull and them take a step and release pressure as a reward. the first few timeas are the longest, but they catch on quick. After watering i will pull to a tie rack and wash them, used to desensitize again.
- then walk back to stall and feed him. He soon learns when you walk him it means he is getting food and water.

THINGS NOT TO DOl use a chute to catch him, tractors, 4wheelers, tying them and (letting them fight it out)

Latest posts