halter breaking

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.

Reaction score
It may not be the proper way to do it but every horse I have ever owned I halter broke with the truck. I tie the lead rope on the bumper my wife drives real slow .I have my hand on the rope when ever the horse pulls she stops the truck,but the horse never wins Generally I go down the lane on the truck and lead them back with out the truck --Sure is handy when they get older can lead them anywhere with the truck

carl

Carlos D.":25df5u06 said:
It may not be the proper way to do it but every horse I have ever owned I halter broke with the truck. I tie the lead rope on the bumper my wife drives real slow .I have my hand on the rope when ever the horse pulls she stops the truck,but the horse never wins Generally I go down the lane on the truck and lead them back with out the truck --Sure is handy when they get older can lead them anywhere with the truck

carl

What are you using for a halter and lead rope, must be something pretty strong?

Ray

hayray":1yua5mou said:
Carlos D.":1yua5mou said:

carl

What are you using for a halter and lead rope, must be something pretty strong?

Ray
their not that big when I do this generally spring colts --do it the following winter

carl

I'm a firm believer in teaching disengagement of the rear end with a halter. Once you can get them in and out of gear it just makes everything come easier. jmho

how old is the critter? you can give em some awful neck injuries that way....I use a feed pan and a halter and lead..put the pan down a few feet in front of them and tension the rope. as soon as they start foreward, DROP THE TENSION on the rope! Give em a verbal "good boy/girl" and a pat. after a session or two not only will they lead, but you will have made friends with them some. :)

I've gone about it a few different ways, from leaving a halter and lead rope on them in a pen and let them drag it around a week or so, to just tieing them up and letting them fight it out, but what I found on my last mare I did, was to get her used to wearing a halter first, then put some pressure on her by pulling the lead rope tight and keep it there till she gives, and you have to watch because the slightest "give" that she gives you should be rewarded with releasing the pressure. Start slow with minor pressure and as she gets used to it increase the pressure. You also get to the point where once she learns to give to the pressure, you put some on her and the longer she stands pulling against it the more you increase the pulling but as soon as she gives the slightest little bit release the pull and reward her but not with feed. Hope this made sense, started rambling a bit there. :lol:

I get an old inner tube, tie it to a solid stall wall, so it cant get it's legs through. I get a good halter and lead rope, put it on the colt and tie him to the inner tube, close ,so he can't get his legs over the lead rope, and leave him there until I get my feeding done, which takes about an hour. Be sure to check on him every now and again. The inner will stretch insted of the colts neck preventing injury. I do this every day for about a week,then I get him out and he will lead right off, most of the time. I try to halter break mine at two weeks old. At that age I tie them in one corner while their mother is eating in the other. Wrong or right.That's how I do it.

I guess I'm in the minority here, I establish a bond and then actually work with the foal to halter break him.

I have a yearling that I stared haltering when he was two days old. Every day I would halter him and leave it on while I cleaned the stall. Then I would take it off. I started with the lead rope about two months later,when I could halter him at will. All this was done with the mare present. I have to say though this is an exceptional mare to allow this, and this is only her second foal.

We do them in the late fall and winter. We start by just leaving a halter and long rope which they drag. This works great if there is at least 2 of them since they step on each others rope. Since we don't have water in all the pens, we leave them in one without water and lead them to water every day. The first couple days it takes 2 people but after that they learn without really realizing it.

msscamp":39xjkhie said:
I guess I'm in the minority here, I establish a bond and then actually work with the foal to halter break him.

quit right! i didn't put that in, but i always try to buddy up with them before i start to do anything. good advise ms!

MrGale":3oum1dd9 said:
msscamp":3oum1dd9 said:

quit right! i didn't put that in, but i always try to buddy up with them before i start to do anything. good advise ms!

I agree with all of that. There is no substitute for just good old fashioned horse training by properly training the horse. Dragging them down the road and sacking them out eventually backfires.

I just aquired a blue roan stud horse he'll be 2 in the spring --he was on a pasture for meat horses all summer I liked his colouring --he.s pretty skinny needs wormed real bad,never been touched by man I wonder who's going to drag who. when we get around to getting the wormer medicine in him.

carl

Carlos D.":2o7xb33i said:
I just aquired a blue roan stud horse he'll be 2 in the spring --he was on a pasture for meat horses all summer I liked his colouring --he.s pretty skinny needs wormed real bad,never been touched by man I wonder who's going to drag who. when we get around to getting the wormer medicine in him.

carl
this is a good time too get start feeding him and put some good pellet wormer in his feed. if he has never been wormed anyway id start off with small amounts and build up keep a check on his manure alot easier too see parisite in horse manure than cattle. don't let him get ahead of you though. he will be a handful the stronger he gets.

Bet he'd make a fine gelding..Get him in a trailer ,put a halter and drag rope on him,let him step on it and learn to give..

All is fair in love, war and worming horses. All of our broodmares came off of the Binion Ranch in Nevada. I may have two that are even halter broke. We use the Ivermec cattle injectable to worm. 1cc per 100# of body weight. We pen them up and then turn them into another pen one at a time and give them about a double handful of feed with the wormer sprayed on top. For our broke horses we drw it up remove the needle and shoot it in their mouths just like a paste wormer. I like it better then the paste because there is no way they can get lucky and spit it out. It's also cheaper the the equine stuff.

MrGale is right about tying to the bumper. Never, ever tie any horse to anything lower then the top of it's withers. You can do serious and permenant damage.

Since my mares are range mares we don't even try to do anything with the babies until they are weaned. Then we go to the round pen one at a time. Once they dicide that I am not a horse eating monster and since I'm the one that's been feeding them and their mamas it doesn't take long. I get a halter and lead rope on themand start by stepping to one side and applying pressure until they give to to the pressure and just keep repeating that on both sides until they turn to me with almost no pressure and then I start making small circlesand gradually expand them until we can go in a straight line and turn either way. When (not if) they balk we just go back to small circles again. There is no sense in trying to get in a tug-a-war with a horse even a 500# colt. You can't win.Z

thanks milliron....that sounds like a good one....gotta remember that when the babies come this fall....

I do have one secret weapon. I know a kid that ccan make me the knotted rope halters in colt size. :D :cboy: Z

Latest posts