Halter Showing

Help Support CattleToday:

Just_a_girl

Reaction score
Anyone do any halter showing?

I was given a bald face Paint recently, and he has been left undisturbed for too long. I actually was the last person to ride him a couple of years ago, had him in perfect riding condition. Now he's full of himself and I'm working that out of him. I know what he is capable of, so I'm not worried about getting him back to the frame of mind that he once had. Several people who have seen him suggest that I show him.

I've watched a couple of local showings, and have seen many showings at Fort Worth, but I don't know a thing about it, except that it's expensive. Myself, I think I would enjoy the local showings more.

How do I get started?

What are the pros and cons?

Websites?

Thank you!

Well all you have to do to get started is like get the basics....you don't have to go all out on your gear until you really decide you want to show. I have showed a few times with just a plan leather halter, nothing fancy, no silver or nothing on it and i got it for about $19.95 w/leather lead rope. Most judges don't really point you buy your horses tack, usually just how you handle the horse. The pros and cons is alot of show people can be a little rude, some are VERY nice but others just are wanting to win and nothing else. Me personally I just do it for fun. If you want to do like weastern pleasure or equitation your saddle and blanket don't even have to be all silvery. Just a basic saddle will be fine. You should get started by just going and signing up somewhere were they do open shows and do like 2-3 classes at a time. Usually the each show class cost from $7-10. by chance if you are under 18 years old you can sign up for a local horse 4-H group and most groups you can learn ALOT from. I am not sure of any websites but if you are interested you can just maybe google showing or something. Well if you have anymore questions I will help you as much as i can.....I am not a pro at showing only done it a few times but I know a little bit about it. Jazzin :D

To find open shows, check at feed stores for flyers and free area horse newsletters / magazines. If you are in Texas there is Southwest Horse Trader http://www.swhorsetrader.com/, the Horse Gazette http://www.horsegazette.com/class/main.php and Texas Horse Talk http://www.texashorsetalk.com/

They list many events. If you are interested in showing at the APHA shows, visit http://www.apha.com to find shows in your area.

If you are inexperienced, your best bet would be to go watch different shows to learn how the classes are run.

Good Luck and Happy Riding!

I think I know someone assoicated with the 4H club in my area who I think might be able to give me some information about showing. I'm western pleasure.
I don't really want to spend a load of money, I just want to learn something new with my horse, and have some fun at the same time.

Thank you!

There is also a lot of information on the web.

We show halter horses, western pleasure and HUS.

This is a link to blog about showing. http://wabbitears.blogspot.com/

The quarter system is important when showing halter horses. If you check the archives you can find advise about dress.

The American Quarter Horse Association also has free downloads about showing.

http://www.aqha.com/association/download/links.html

Thanks again chippie

Watched some HUS showing videos online.....it was interesting, but wonder how the riders can understand what they are being told because of the echo or do they just know because they've done the pattern some mnay times?

I was reading that blog, and started wondering if my silly horse would even be able to stand still for a few minutes. He can be like a kid hyped up on too much sugar. Or, when I try to be on the correct side of the horse while the judge is looking that I don't fall over my own feet. :lol: Because if I get nervous, I'll do it.

I will find some shows just to watch. I want to be able to understand what exactly the judges are looking at and how the person showing the horse handles their horse.

Chippie, Don't know if you're in TX, but do or will you show at the 2008 FW stock show?

Probably won't attempt halter showing with this knuckle head until he has several hours of slow riding in.

Just_a_girl":2r44bliu said:
Probably won't attempt halter showing with this knuckle head until he has several hours of slow riding in.

We've all been in the same boat. The good thing about working a horse for halter is that you instill good ground matters. After you work him (riding), practice your halter stuff while he cools out. If he is tuckered out, he will be happy to stand still and listen to you. He will learn that being still is a good thing. :D

We won't be showing at Fort Worth but some friends will be showing in the reining. However I will be there on Feb.2 with our 4-H Horse Judging Team.

The main thing about showing is to have a good time. Watching others show and how the classes are run is an excellent idea. It has helped us in the past. The pattern classes like showmanship, horsemanship and hunt seat equitation are different at every show.

Open shows are a lot of fun and usually much more relaxed than the breed shows. What part of Texas are you in? We are south of Houston.

chippie":1nijxu78 said:
Just_a_girl":1nijxu78 said:

We've all been in the same boat. The good thing about working a horse for halter is that you instill good ground matters. After you work him (riding), practice your halter stuff while he cools out. If he is tuckered out, he will be happy to stand still and listen to you. He will learn that being still is a good thing. :D

We won't be showing at Fort Worth but some friends will be showing in the reining. However I will be there on Feb.2 with our 4-H Horse Judging Team.

The main thing about showing is to have a good time. Watching others show and how the classes are run is an excellent idea. It has helped us in the past. The pattern classes like showmanship, horsemanship and hunt seat equitation are different at every show.

Open shows are a lot of fun and usually much more relaxed than the breed shows. What part of Texas are you in? We are south of Houston.

He's a good horse, I just have to be patience with him right now. Right now, I'm working him at a friend's arena.

I don't think any of the small showings around here have started, at least I haven't been able to find any info yet. I love watching the shows, seeing horses move so smooth and perfectly. I've been going through all the links that you sent, and checked the patterns. I can't wait until I can find some shows to go watch.

We are going to try to get the FW stock show Saturday. Good luck on your judging, and best of luck to your friend.

thank you!

There is going to be a horse judging seminar on March 8, 2008 in Commerce. I wish that it were closer. They are fun, informative and helpful. You can enter day of event.

NORTH EAST TEXAS HORSE JUDGING SEMINAR and PRACTICE JUDGING CONTEST
Organizers - TAM-Commerce Equine Sciences Program and Texas AgriLife Ext. Service
Date - March 8 (Saturday), 2008
Location - TAM-Commerce campus- Ferguson Social Sciences Building Auditorium
Target Audiences - 4-H and FFA members, CEAs, Agri. Sci. Teachers, 4- H Horse Club Leaders
present and potential show judges, exhibitors, interested horsemen, college students.

Format - Activity will teach attendees to evaluate/place horses in different classes.
1. Instructors will discuss how to evaluate classes, take notes, answer questions.
2. Attendees will judge a few practice runs and answer questions on the runs.
3. Attendees will judge classes, answer questions, and turn in placing (scantron).
4. Officials will give official class placings and answer questions.

Classes - 8 halter and performance classes from Texas 4-H and Texas FFA contest rules.

Times - 8:00 am registration - non-group adult judges, exhibitors, college students, late registration for schools and counties ($5.00 extra per person)
9:00 judging 4 classes
12:00 box lunch provided on site
1:00 pm judging 4 classes
4:00 "TAM-C Equine Sciences Program"- Dr. David Crenshaw
4:20 special fun educational presentation-TBA
4:40 awards presentation

Divisions -Youth (11-13), Youth (14-18), College Students and Adults

Awards - Youth and College- buckles, rosettes, ribbons Adult- Jackpot

Sponsors - 3 Oaks Quarter Horses, stallion- Set for Life, threeoaksquarterhorses.com
Northeast Texas Horsemen's Assn., Sulphur Springs, nethorsemen.com
Sundowner Trailers of Texas, Canton, sundowneroftexas.com
Horse Judging Videos-creativeeducationalmultimedia.com

Cost - $20.00 adults and $15.00 youth (includes box lunch)

Officials - Dr. Doug Householder, Teri Antilley, Carrie Sharp and Tommy Phillips

Support Help - TAM-C faculty, staff and students; NETHA members; Kaufmann 4-H leaders; and Clay Ewell and JudgingCard.Com
FMI - Dr. David Crenshaw @ 903. 886. 5358, Teri Antilley @ 979. 845.1562. or Dr. Doug Householder @

County and School Group Pre-Registration Deadline - March 1, 2008

School and County Groups Pre-Registration Procedures- Agr. Sci.Teachers, FFA students and school adults- Make one school entry at JudgingCard.com. CEAs, 4-H members and county 4-H adult leaders- Make one county entry at Judgingcard.com.

Payment - Schools and counties make pre-registration entry checks payable to Clay Ewell Educational Services, P.O. Box 3791, College Station, Texas, 77844-3791. Entry fees must be received before the pre- registration deadline.

Non- County and School Group Adults and College Students - Register and pay on site.

Refreshments - BYO for the morning and afternoon breaks. Cafeteria and snack bar open morning of the contest.

:D Thanks for the good wishes and have fun. I got your PM. If I learn of more things I'll let you know.

You could prolly also just go to http://www.youtube.com and watch different videos of people who are showing or anything else horse wise. Could help you maybe if you don't have time to go somewhere and stand in the cold and watch people in an arena.

chippie,

You're packed full of info! thank you!

Jazzin,
I have watched a few on youtube....thanks!

I'm ready for spring to be here, or least the first show I can find to attend! :banana: