halter breaking/leading a 7month Charolaise heifer!

Help Support CattleToday:

keiana

Reaction score
Hello im new to this site as well as raising a show heifer. She lets me tie her up now but she wont leave her pen. Any tips

Open the gate and lead her! Lead her one step at a time, as slowly as she wants to go. All you're asking her to do is one step, when she does that then stop and scratch her under her neck. Don't pull hard, or drag her, just put steady pressure on the lead.

You may find these helpful.

Texas A&M has some publications on their website for youth.

One is:

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/files/201 ... cattle.pdf

There are more publications here: http://animalscience.tamu.edu/youth-projects/#Youth

This page has links to videos about fitting:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=67896&p=796124&hilit=halter+youtube#p796124

You can find more at youtube. Here are several. (Disclaimer - i did not watch all of them).

[youtube]b1daEJVY43o[/youtube]

[youtube]OOJCrzqLgB8[/youtube]

[youtube]TRB7MNYAuIs[/youtube]

[youtube]Fa6jSwbMh1w[/youtube]

Quiet cattle to start off with always helps. I have all my weaners in the yards together whether I intend on breaking all of them in or not. I walk amongst them ( these are Brahman and South Devon) I put them up the race and just rub them down then I put their halter on then let them out without touching the halter. I put them up the race the next day then I tie them up in the race. When they stop pulling back they are then let out on a longer lead then tied to a rail. I give them a hose down a day or two after I start tieing them to the rail. I find they respond quite well. To get them to lead you need someone just to walk behind them for once or twice then they should be right. Use a radio near where they are tied up so they get used to noises. Any visitors that you have encourage them to come and have a look at the animals so they get used to other people. Let us know how you go.

So glad this link came up again , we have been watching it and taking notes these past few days .

Thanks again !!! :tiphat:

The last two videos of halter breaking are the ones I was referring to in my thread "showing off with halter". This thread should be pinned to the top.

This is the system that I use. Well, I kinda blend the two systems. I let the calf drag a halter for a few days & get them used to me hand feeding them in small individual pens. Then, I tie another halter to the one on the calf & use the showstick. Works great.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2huqneqy said:
This is the system that I use. Well, I kinda blend the two systems. I let the calf drag a halter for a few days & get them used to me hand feeding them in small individual pens. Then, I tie another halter to the one on the calf & use the showstick. Works great.

How do you do this unsupervised or do you only do it for a few hours a ta time each day ?

My fellas are in a very small area but no way I would ever let them have a halter on unsupervised .. :?

hillsdown":f6brx8oy said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":f6brx8oy said:

How do you do this unsupervised or do you only do it for a few hours a ta time each day ?

My fellas are in a very small area but no way I would ever let them have a halter on unsupervised .. :?

I'm not speaking for how Jeanne does it, but it's not uncommon to leave a rope halter on a calf several days in a row. I've tried it, but it seems to me that they step on the rope and instead of stopping they give a jerk to get the halter free from their foot.
Letting them drag it isn't much different than tying a newly caught calf and walking away. It's unlikely they'll catch their halter on anything, if they do it will either get caught in a manner to pull it off, or it will get caught in a manner equivalent to being tied. Of course they need to be checked periodically.

Latest posts