Hair

Help Support CattleToday:

rimranch

Reaction score
This is a basic question but i am having a little bit of trouble with my calfs hair. It is really soft and fine and i can not get any pop at all, but the worst part is that the hair on his topline is really greasy. Sound weird but i wash his top with soap three times a week and for some reason he just collects grease there and i can not for the life of me get his hair clean.
any help would be appreciated
rimranch
P.S. i live in tucson arizona and it snowed today and it stuck to the ground

What are you washing with? Try Dawn or Joy dish soap to cut the grease. You might also want to try sullivan's hair stimulator to help make the hair pop.

I've had this exact thing happen to me before. I just waited a while and eventually it went away.

But what I would suggest for you is to maybe try to wash it only once a week, with a different type of shampoo. I don't know what kind of shampoo you are using right now but maybe you should try using Orvus just once. Just because it is such a strong shampoo would I only advise using it once. You could also try EQ Solutions. That stuff works like a dream, leaving a very nice hair coat.

Another thing that might be making his topline act up could be the weather. I know when I had this happen to me it was a very humid, hot couple of weeks.

Hopefully that helps. Good Luck! :D

We only use soap once right before the show. The rest of the time we brush, blow, brush (forward), wet really really well, brush, wet again and brush (if he is super dirty we do it again and again untioall of the dirt is gone). We use a sprayer thing that soaks the calf to the skin. This helps us train the hair to grow in the right direction and does not strip the hair so it will not dry out. The calves get done at least 4 days a week but we try for 6. We are just down the road a ways from u but NO SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Almost never snows here.

thanks for the imput i will try the suggestions and see how it goes

dilute the shampoo. We try to wash every day during show season: wash, comb, blow, kleen sheen or white lightning. Has worked real well for us.

Is it really grease or does the hair feel greasy or oily.Have you checked to skin. See if it is sebum collecting on the hair which is caused by skin irriatation. I call it hide sore and have seen it alot doing custom fitting as far as a cause it can vary from detergent being left in , a comb with tips too sharp,skin dried out too much, some grooming products as well. Basically anything that can cause an inflamation. The easy way to tell if your animal is sensitive to combing on the top line, eventually when healed the greasy spot will disapear.
I hope this can help you.

Latest posts