Hair Dye

Help Support CattleToday:

HFSimmOH

Reaction score
Please help, I have a week and a half before our county fair and I just decided to take this heifer calf. Well needless to say I don't have time to clip her short and let it grow back so I have heard alot about dye the reddish hair in a black calf. I have some "Rit" black tye dye liquid but I don't know if that would work and if it would how do you do it, how much to mix in the concentrate, do you spray it on or wipe it on. I know that some people would see leave it alone but she is black and I think that for the show ring it would look so nice if I could get rid of that baby hair red. Thanks for any help

I don't know about the Rit black dye. Sullivans usually gets shipments to customers in about 3 days. I would call them and order some Black Velvet dye. It works wonders and gets rid of all the red tint, and it doesn't dry out the hair.

I second the Black Velvet.
But, in case if you dont get that. Maybe a jet black human hair dye would work? You'd need more than one box (obviously) and I'm thinkin that there are some out there that dont dry out human hair...so I would use those.

But I would wanna test it out, maybe on a calf that isnt going?

Honestly, if I were you, I would leave it. To risky to start throwin on the products, especially ones that you havent tried, and if you dont have a test calf.

Brush like crazy- Use a grill block. That usually takes care of the red tint in hair, by removing it.

karlie45 said:
Maybe a jet black human hair dye would work? You'd need more than one box (obviously) and I'm thinkin that there are some out there that dont dry out human hair...so I would use those.
quote]

Don't use the human stuff. It is too harsh on their skin. Also, if you use the human hair dye once and change to something else, it will burn the hair right off.

I just came in from the barn dying calves. I have used Clariol balasm black of negro human hair dye.(not the ethinic hair care but for white people) You can get it at walmart for around $4 a box. works great on our calves. We have also used young color that we bought at a show. Just ran out and needed to finish calves today. So off to wally world. I only leave it on about 25 minutes. When I am finished dyeing the calf I take the conditioner that came with thedye pour it into a fogger and mix with water fog the calf I then brush the conditoner in really good rinse and blow dry.

Colorado2008":pt1s23pk said:
karlie45":pt1s23pk said:
Maybe a jet black human hair dye would work? You'd need more than one box (obviously) and I'm thinkin that there are some out there that dont dry out human hair...so I would use those.

Don't use the human stuff. It is too harsh on their skin. Also, if you use the human hair dye once and change to something else, it will burn the hair right off.
Thanks for correcting me Colorado2008. I just thought something like that might work..but I wasnt sure.

HFSimmOH":31eu0o6o said:
Please help, I have a week and a half before our county fair and I just decided to take this heifer calf. Well needless to say I don't have time to clip her short and let it grow back so I have heard alot about dye the reddish hair in a black calf. I have some "Rit" black tye dye liquid but I don't know if that would work and if it would how do you do it, how much to mix in the concentrate, do you spray it on or wipe it on. I know that some people would see leave it alone but she is black and I think that for the show ring it would look so nice if I could get rid of that baby hair red. Thanks for any help

I don't know what county you are in but CHECK the Rules closely. The Best program has hindered the use of alot of that stuff, even at county shows.

Can't believe it! Well...probably can.

Dying an animal's hair to cover up "odd spots"? Another reason I believe that Shows and Show Animals are not the best representation of a breed. Too much beauty shop work. Of course all of the exhibitors have the same behavior.

Show me a good looking animal in the pasture, in a natural environment...THAT is one that I would buy...not one that has been cosmetically modified to win ribbons...

I rest my case... :(

You have to remember that most of us do thsi for the kiddos Mr. Running arrow. Sometimes it seems to me that it gets out of hand to. Especialy with the cost of some of the show products that they just "have to have". :( :( :( :(
Not to mention the special feeds and vitemins and this and that that they "have to have" that just turns into cow poop just like all the other cow poop. :roll: :roll: :roll:

But its for the kiddos, so :) :) :)

i have used the sullivans black velvet several times and several different ways. i have talked with other buddies of mine that have used it and we all came to one conclusion...dont use it! 3 to 4 days after being used it will start to burn their skin pretty bad. your best bet is to go with roux jet black. it is the same thing as the young color II jet black that revlon use to make that sullivans use to carry. u can buy it at sallys beauty supplies. if they dont have it they can order you a case in.

Double A Ranch":3169zryh said:
You have to remember that most of us do thsi for the kiddos Mr. Running arrow. Sometimes it seems to me that it gets out of hand to. Especialy with the cost of some of the show products that they just "have to have". :( :( :( :(
Not to mention the special feeds and vitemins and this and that that they "have to have" that just turns into cow poop just like all the other cow poop. :roll: :roll: :roll:

But its for the kiddos, so :) :) :)

I understand where you are coming from...

However,

To allow the kids to do those things (whoever the parents are) is not exactly setting a good example and maybe teaching them to "cheat" to win that ever popular & coveted ribbon... IMO part of the problem in our society..."WIN" at whatever "sport" you are participating in...it's about winning...

JMO

Latest posts