Had a nice thing happen the other day...

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Circle Mc Ranch":2qnraqg7 said:
How is everyone selling the beef? on the hoof price per pound? hanging weight? and what price per pound?
Thanks
I am keeping 6 steers to do the same with

I charge for hanging weight but provide processing. This way nobody can complain about what is in or out of the weighing.

options":1ghzd4r0 said:
I guess if it works good enough and everyone is happy continue doing it. A selling price 50% above actual value of the animal in my opinion is not a fair price but it is your beef and not mine what I think doesn't matter. Taking advantage of my own customers is not something I would do just because I can.

With all due respect, I think you have missed the point. Compared to selling a fat at the sale barn for 85 cents a pound, figuring my price on a fat at $1.30 per pound covers a lot of the additional costs involved with producing and selling what might be called a specialty product.

Are you also saying that 85 cents on a fat is a "Fair" price? My customers so far think they are getting a good deal. They do not feel they are being taken advantage of. And this is not a real high income group of customers...

One of the interesting things about life in a free country is we have a lot of paths we can choose. If you want to sell good calves at 65 cents as they are going for now, that is certainly your choice. Good day.

Jim

tncattle467":32cw67h0 said:
SRBeef":32cw67h0 said:
How many customers has she sent you?

I don't know but have had a number of other folks ask for beef. I think they call it "referral marketing". I just have not had any more to process until recently.

Once I get out of the initial startup/investment stage (just about there, hopefully) I think I could net some money at this...plus enjoy the process and the good beef.

One problem with cattle is that everything takes SO long when starting from scratch to finished, processed product. It is also a LOT of work.

I find that giving away a package of hamburger or Swiss steak is well worth the advertising.... As mentioned above folks get "hooked". Many have never really tasted good beef. I seel mine for 1.30 a pound on the hoof and the customer pays the kill bill and picks the meat up at the slaughter house themselves. I have so many orders I cannot fill them all. This year I had 25 people asking for beef and I could only fill 20.

Jim

I do not understand how putting a self feeder out and letting them gorge themselves is hard work? A feed truck comes out and fills it every so often, all you have to do is get on the tractor, give them some hay every now and then. To me that aint hard work or alot of work.

Not all of us have a feed truck filling self feeders. Selling it is work. a lot of work.

Ask a lot of the automotive people these days: designing and building a car is easy compared to selling it at a price that makes sense/profit enough so you get to do it again next year. Over and out.

Jim

SRBeef":38moshnb said:
With all due respect, I think you have missed the point. Compared to selling a fat at the sale barn for 85 cents a pound, figuring my price on a fat at $1.30 per pound covers a lot of the additional costs involved with producing and selling what might be called a specialty product.

Are you also saying that 85 cents on a fat is a "Fair" price? My customers so far think they are getting a good deal. They do not feel they are being taken advantage of. And this is not a real high income group of customers...

One of the interesting things about life in a free country is we have a lot of paths we can choose. If you want to sell good calves at 65 cents as they are going for now, that is certainly your choice. Good day.

Jim
Jim with all due respect your product is no more special than most slaughter cattle sold at the auction barns bringing $85. Do I think $85 dollars is a fair price? yes I do. Not only is it fair but that is currently the actual value of slaughter cattle. If you want to mark your cattle up 65% you can do just that, this is like you say a free country. I perfer to sell my slaughter steers as arm's length transactions.

As far as selling good calves for $65. With today's current feeder market conditions, if you are selling calves for $65 they were NOT good calves.

I think you are selling to cheap. My customers don't want to go to a sale barn and buy a fat steer for $.85 and not know how it was fed, how it was raised, what breed it is, where it was raise, what's been injected into it, etc... Since I can provide them this info, it makes my steer worth more than the one selling at the sale barn, I dont know why that's so hard for some people to understand? :?

LimiMan":kgem9r5e said:
I think you are selling to cheap. My customers don't want to go to a sale barn and buy a fat steer for $.85 and not know how it was fed, how it was raised, what breed it is, where it was raise, what's been injected into it, etc... Since I can provide them this info, it makes my steer worth more than the one selling at the sale barn, I dont know why that's so hard for some people to understand? :?
I'm sorry I keep forgetting that 99.9% of the people here at CT raise the best beef that can be bought. The rest of the producers raise just awful bad beef. I bet your kids are the best things ever too huh?

tncattle467":1bks9kqt said:
I wouldn't know. What is up with the smart arse remark just out of curiosity?

Think about it they all think their cattle are superior to anything that can be bought at a sale barn. Yet salebarn cattle also come from cattle producers who also think they have the best cattle with the best care, best genetics, blah blah blah.

Just like parents, every child has a parent, and every parent thinks their children are superior to the other kids. Guess what not everybody has superior kids or cattle they just think they do.

Option - you miss the point. It is PERCEIVED to be better. That is the buyer's perception, not the producers. Selling direct to the buyer, the buyer feels "connected" to the operation, and gets that "feel good" feeling!
I think $1.30 is way too low. You are talking hanging weight? You can't hardly buy GOOD hamburg for $1.30 in the grocery store (90-95% lean).
If Option wants to feed out steers to fatten & sell them at $0.85 hanging, let him. The last steers we sold in May & June were sent to a packing plant & sold on the rail. We got $1.49 - $1.52 / HCW. That's without the "feel good" sale! :banana: We are presenty going to grind a cull cow & will sell the hamburg for $1.30.
So, Jim, get whatever your customers are confortable with. Knowing where it comes from & comparing what they have to buy it for at the grocery store, it's a bargain. Have you priced steaks!!!?

And by the way, I just sold my feeder steers (completely preconditioned), averaging 875# (off our own scales) for $1/lb. Feedlot buyer is thrilled with them. Says he always makes money on our steers. Doesn't mind paying the extra because they make him money.

Jeanne you sold $95 dollar live cattle back in may and June, Jim is selling $1.30 live cattle.

Hanging prices back in May ranged from $1.32 to $1.59.

options":13sguk0q said:
Jeanne you sold $95 dollar live cattle back in may and June, Jim is selling $1.30 live cattle.

Hanging prices back in May ranged from $1.32 to $1.59.

What do you think those cattle cost by the time they left the slaughter house, were delivered to the grocery store and bought by the customer? My guess would be well over the price that SRBeef is getting for his beef.

gberry using the numbers srbeef has provided he will be selling the retail meat at around $5.50 per pound.

In 2008 average retail value was $4.33 per pound. I'm almost certain the price has not risen $1.17 in less than a year.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2mmupzln said:
If Option wants to feed out steers to fatten & sell them at $0.85 hanging, let him.
When did they start buying slaughter cattle at the salebarn by the hanging weight? And where does this happen I wann see that. Do the cattle come rolling along thru the ring on the rail?

I did a search on Craigslist for beef within 600 miles of Houston. Here are a few of the results.

Texas

http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/1467321617.html
Pick out your own meat! Calves bred, born, and raised on place. Dams and sires on premises. Calves are about 10 months old and weigh about 900 pounds. Scales on premises as well. Live of the hoof at $0.90 per pound. Calf can be delivered for processing with small fee for hauling.

http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/1457632028.html
400lb to 1200 lb Beef $2.00 per lb live weight

http://austin.craigslist.org/grd/1459621745.html

We keep it simple, one fee. $3.60 per lb hanging weight. ($1,200-1,700 per whole calf) You can request a smaller/larger calf in that range.
The price will range from $150 to $200, depending on size of calf for an 1/8th.
Chec k out our website or please call for additional questions. Raising 5 Cattle Co., http://www.raising5.com
3n83md3p15P55S95R99ba920710634d171beb.jpg

http://austin.craigslist.org/grd/1451226144.html
I offer whole, half, or quarter carcass priced as follows:
Whole- $2.75/lb (carcass weight)
Half- $2.95/lb (carcass weight)
Quarter- $3.25/lb (carcass weight)
This price includes processing fees.

Missouri

http://bham.craigslist.org/grd/1451873185.html
Grass fed Angus heifers for sale. 2.50 lb. hanging weight. You pay for processing. Will carry to your processor or we have one we use. Beef can also be purchased by live weight @ 1.50 lb. Our processor is USDA approved.

http://loz.craigslist.org/grd/1472584158.html
Home raised butchering beef for sale. Will sale as the whole beef, halves or quarters. No antibiotics, growth hormones or steroids given to our steers. $1.90 per pound hanging weight, plus processing.

Alabama

http://bham.craigslist.org/grd/1440695848.html
We have farm fresh grass fed ground beef for sale 3.00 a pound.
We also have farm fresh whole hog sausage for sale 2.50 a pound.
All meat is USDA inspected.

Oklahoma

http://stillwater.craigslist.org/grd/1474705059.html
Calf is at the butcher now! $2.50/lb! This includes processing.

Tennessee

http://memphis.craigslist.org/grd/1462183486.html
These are angus steers that have been raised on our farm, they are out of our cows, and have never stepped foot off of our Master Beef Producing farm. These steers are grain fed and have never had any antibiotics. I am selling them by the 1/2 or whole for $1.24 per pound live weight. I will deliver, for free, to the butcher of your choice within reason and availability, or if you prefer, live purchase on our farm is available. I have steers that are ready to be butchered now! Weights range from 900 to 1300 pounds. Beef also makes great holiday gifts!!!!

What a person chooses to sell their product is his or her business. If the customer is happy and is a repeat customer, then kudos for a job well done.

ETA: options just likes to
zu2m1c.jpg

options":3i47oz60 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3i47oz60 said:
If Option wants to feed out steers to fatten & sell them at $0.85 hanging, let him.
When did they start buying slaughter cattle at the salebarn by the hanging weight? And where does this happen I wann see that. Do the cattle come rolling along thru the ring on the rail?
Options - sorry, that was a screw-up. Didn't mean to put in the word "hanging". Even I'm smart enough to know you're not selling hanging at $0.85 - especially at the sale barn :lol: :banana: :banana:
And, I think you misunderstood my statement. We sold Hanging carcasses back in May & June for $1.49 - $1.52 (thru Cornell feedout program - we don't finish any at our farm).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2qw01g5b said:
I think you misunderstood my statement. We sold Hanging carcasses back in May & June for $1.49 - $1.52 (thru Cornell feedout program - we don't finish any at our farm).
I understood you $150 hanging comes back to $95 live

kudos to you chippie you have found some who price cattle fairly and also some that do not. I guess it all depends on ones own conscious.

We have sold meat in the past to friends. I charged the same price the processor charges for a half and I paid the processing fees.

The last half that I sold cost $2.79 per pound hanging weight and was cut to the buyer's specs. I picked up the meat and delivered it. The price paid covered the processing and kill fee and had enough left over to cover the cost of the feed and hay that was fed. Our friend got half and we basically got our half for free.

He was happy and so were we.

options":13btaocd said:
gberry using the numbers srbeef has provided he will be selling the retail meat at around $5.50 per pound.

In 2008 average retail value was $4.33 per pound. I'm almost certain the price has not risen $1.17 in less than a year.

I don't see how you came up with $5.50/lb. An 1100 lb steer hanging 60% =660 lb carcass. Cutout 60% = 396 lbs beef. $1430 sale price + $.50/lb processing = $1760. 1760/396=$4.44. So a price imo that is very fair and nearly the same as retail average.

My initial statement was incorrect in that retail is not more expensive (I had not done any calculations), but I think his price is fair for the customer and him. Additionally, one could argue that his is a value added product as the consumer is more sure of the handling of the animal prior to processing. Hormone and antibiotic treatment of beef cattle is not a big issue to everyone but it is to some.

I think most people buying a beef such as the one SRBeef is selling are willing to pay a little more for what they perceive as a safer, higher quality product. After all, almost everyone on these boards would prefer to eat a steak from one of their home grown cattle than Walmart. If it's better to us, doesn't it logically follow that it would be better to customers and they would be willing to pay at least an equivalent price?

I was thinking this thread would just die but see that it has not. What I sell my beef for is no one's business except me and my customers.

However, to correct some erroneous numbers here, I will get into detail: I sell split halves for $3.90/lb delivered. That includes about 90 cents of usda processing/shrink wrap. If you assume there is about 440 lb of saleable minimum bone beef in an 1050 lb steer less the processing, 440 lb x $3 net (3.90-.90 processing) = about $1320 gross which is where I get about $1.30 on the live weight. $1320/1050lb=$1.26/lb live to be exact in a recent steer for example.

Selling split halves which is all cuts, vacuum packed, delivered to your door and including processing, transportation, and other selling costs at $3.90/lb is NOT gouging the customer! With the quality of the beef they are getting, knowing the source, comparing to what the same would cost in the store, they love it! I am not saying everyone should or can market their beef like this. This is not for everyone and more work then meets the eye.

Nowhere in here am I claiming my cattle are "better" than anyone elses' cattle. Nor would I ever do so.

We all enjoy showing pictures of our cattle, like we do our kids! Are they all blue ribbon cattle or kids?? No, but we love them anyway and are proud of them.

Have a good Thanksgiving holiday everyone. Jim.

my mistake I was using regional pricing when figuring slaughter and processing costs here you will never get a slaughter steer slaughtered and processed in a usda facility for $400 it will cost around $700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts