Had a cow processed

Help Support CattleToday:

90% lean or better burger around here is around $7.00/lb. so I think you did OK. Locker called me on Monday and said my 1085 lb. hanging weight angus cow is ground and wrapped. didn't ask price yet but I know where my meat came from. if hanging weight is about 60% of live would put her at about 1800 lbs.

USDA? Kill fee extra? That's stout
Kill fee $175. We only have on ranch kill then it's hauled to the locker. Different person/company from the locker.

It was $0.90 a pound but due to "Covid" their boxes etc have skyrocketed and they had to up the per pound cost to compensate. $20 fee per 1/2 or 1/4 if the animal is split between people.

Lockers are getting harder to find every day along with kill guys.

I use two kill plants. One charges $65 kill fee and .65cents to cut and wrap Other plant charges $100 kill fee, .68cents cut wrap, plus $75 Ecoli test per lot (4-5 cows) Both do a great job, and obviously I'd rather use the cheaper of the two and he is an hour closer. However, it's hard to get dates, so by using two plants I can usually get what I need done scheduled sooner than later. I provide all labels that has their specific Dot stamp and FSIS required statement. Labels cost .16cents each and I just have them sent directly to plant as needed.

Oh wow, this guy is booked 1 to 4 months out only. For cow's and pigs, if you're only getting one ground it's a month wait, if you're getting everything done to one it's 4 months wait

Well I misunderstood the guy when I asked him about how much beef I had gotten from the cow, I picked it up today the 293 was hanging weight, I ended up with 170 pounds of ground beef... Live weight 714. Jersey cow's sure don't have much meat on them..

Well I misunderstood the guy when I asked him about how much beef I had gotten from the cow, I picked it up today the 293 was hanging weight, I ended up with 170 pounds of ground beef... Live weight 714. Jersey cow's sure don't have much meat on them..
Jersey cows bring .50-60 cents here
714 lbs x .50-.60 = $357-428 [minus commission/fees]
or when selling g&y 1.20 h.w. x 293 lbs = $352
butcher fees 1.10 lb? x 293 = $322 total? + 352 value of cull cow = $674
674 div by 170 lbs = 3.97 lb

plug in your own numbers for the correct answer,
but I estimate the 170 lbs of home grown hamburger cost you $3.97 lb
my butcher sells hamburger for $5.19 lb

Last edited:

Latest posts