had a bad weeked

Help Support CattleToday:

BrandX

Reaction score
So this last Sunday we had a grass fire in central Oklahoma that was started by a neighbor burning trash. I lost 70 acres of 110 acres I just bought 6 months ago. The tractor caught fire and I have had to replace one of the rear wheels and will have to paint the fender and some small stuff. I also have to replace some of the barbwire fence I just build last month. some days are just hard. I hope every one is safe out there and be well.

Sorry to hear of the bad luck. Hope it turns around for you. Any recourse with the neighbor or your insurance?

Depends if you want to pursue it or not but if it can be proved he started the fire he is liable for all damages.

BrandX":273c41yr said:
I also have to replace some of the barbwire fence I just build last month.

I went thru that back in '90 Lost 3 barns too. Two weren't that big. Insurance covered 10% of my housing cost for "out buildings". All the fence posts were gone. Just bases leaving wood in the post holes. The east pastures remained intact. I housed a lot of loose stock for a week or so until we found all the owners.

backhoeboogie":2se3li1w said:
BrandX":2se3li1w said:
All the fence posts were gone. Just bases leaving wood in the post holes.

I've seen that happen on a smaller scale here. A cross fence that had been here since the mid 60s. I guess I let some embers fall from a big brush pile I was burning in 2009. Pretty disheartening to look out at night and see them all afire--and odd because that was all that was burning.
I'd put one out and look down the fence and another would be burning. Some kind of peat looking mess was burning under ground. When it got done burning, there was a 500' long trench in the ground. One of the odder things I've had happen here..

Around here there are laws for liability for things like that. One landowner was burning a trash/brush pile and it was too windy to do so in my opinion. It got away from him, burnt across a fence line and acres of a neighbors fields. Not only was he liable for the damage to the neighbors, he was also liable for all the firefighting costs since he was considered negligent due to the conditions. Guess his insurance covered most of it but that was a lesson learned.

There's legal fires and there's illegal fires. In Georgia for a fire to be legal you must obtain a permit from the Ga. Forestry Service. It can be done over the phone. The permit limits your liability and if the forestry service and has to be called in to fight a wildfire resulting from your legal fire you do not have to pay for firefighting costs. It should be standard practice to park tractors and other expensive equipment in a place where wildfire danger is minimal or non-existent.

greybeard":393jeorl said:
backhoeboogie":393jeorl said:
BrandX":393jeorl said:
All the fence posts were gone. Just bases leaving wood in the post holes.

I've seen that happen on a smaller scale here. A cross fence that had been here since the mid 60s. I guess I let some embers fall from a big brush pile I was burning in 2009. Pretty disheartening to look out at night and see them all afire--and odd because that was all that was burning.
I'd put one out and look down the fence and another would be burning. Some kind of peat looking mess was burning under ground. When it got done burning, there was a 500' long trench in the ground. One of the odder things I've had happen here..

guess on the bright side, you didn't need to spray or weedwhack the fenceline that year? :hide:

Latest posts