Gyr heifer How long

Help Support CattleToday:

nzcoakley

Reaction score
How long do y'all think it will be until my Gyr Heifer Calves? She's been raising and kinking her tail to the side. Thanks

Attachments

• 5CE49B04-9A4C-4664-A672-1CC5FF7F89D4.jpeg
    5CE49B04-9A4C-4664-A672-1CC5FF7F89D4.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
Could be a couple of hours, could be a couple of days. I've had them surprise me before, I check mine every couple of hours when they look like that

Holy rump roast!!! You don't see that on Angus cattle. Not being familiar with your breed, clearly, I can't judge by the pic. But as a general rule, when they're close to calving you should see the mucus plug, the aforementioned tail raising/sideways, quite often pacing, up/down a lot, if they're not contained they'll leave the herd to find someplace "private", the pins by the tail will get soft. Some heifers bag up a good couple days before calving but sometimes there just isn't much of a bag & they don't come into milk until after they've calved.

Just keep an eye on her.

They usually are more dilated and a little more swollen the wrinkles are smoother .plus being a heifer all bets are off

Holy rump roast!!! You don't see that on Angus cattle. Not being familiar with your breed, clearly, I can't judge by the pic. But as a general rule, when they're close to calving you should see the mucus plug, the aforementioned tail raising/sideways, quite often pacing, up/down a lot, if they're not contained they'll leave the herd to find someplace "private", the pins by the tail will get soft. Some heifers bag up a good couple days before calving but sometimes there just isn't much of a bag & they don't come into milk until after they've calved.

Just keep an eye on her.
During the time I had em I bred them to everything from a Peterbuilt to a Mac truck..the only problem I had was with one breech..spit em out like watermelon seeds..

Latest posts