Guess what breed she is?

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus

Reaction score
A little while back, we found a stray calf among with our cattle and let her stay here. Her owner brought her from the sale barn and unload her in her pen but escaped from the pen on first day. She went missing for six weeks till she showed up at our place. I know that she is part Hereford but not sure what is other breed. Any guesses what's other breed? Me thinks longhorn.
IMG_20141027_112215_050_zps6cb473be.jpg

Are you sure you're not starting your own Black Hereford herd? This could be a cover-up!!

My best guess is herf/angus, but then again, a little Holstein or Simmi, could also be in the woodpile...

Hereford and longhorn at least. Who knows what other etheopians may be in the wood pile

Saw a Beefmaster not to long ago that looked like her. Whatever she looks like a pretty lil heifer. I would try to buy her cheap from the owner and see what kind of cow she makes.

wacocowboy":2hbc1a9b said:
Saw a Beefmaster not to long ago that looked like her. Whatever she looks like a pretty lil heifer. I would try to buy her cheap from the owner and see what kind of cow she makes.
that's what I was thinking. One thing that's for sure she won't go back to her owner unless her owner builds better fence and get more cattle. Anyways she will stay here for awhile to get her used to the humans as her caretaker. Its shame that she had bad luck that she was weaned on trailer, got sold at the sale barn then escaped from her pen on the first day her owner brought her and wandering around for weeks without see a single cow or human.

wacocowboy":1e8ki74t said:
I would try to buy her cheap from the owner and see what kind of cow she makes.

I like that idea, but I believe it would depend on whether or not she's settled down. If she's still high-headed I believe I'd pass.

wacocowboy":grhdyrnp said:
Do you know how old she is?
She is same size to my calves so I'm guessing she's either March or April calf. I think she must have a rustling/browsing ability from longhorn as she seems she'd rather go grazing than eating hay. We tried to load up her to send her home but she made it clear that she wants to stay here. She won't come in corral again for awhile so we don't know what to do with her.

wacocowboy":373qh5bf said:
I would try to keep her she is a sweet lil thing
Till she freaked out when she's alone in corral when we separated her from the cows to just load her. She escaped from the corral. I don't think we will keep her but we hasn't any luck with get her in corral even with hay, sweet feed and cows in it. She isn't high headed when she's with the herd so far. On bright side, we are planning to expanding our home pasture next summer.

I bet you leave her alone with the herd long enough, and she will settle in, and sooner or later go up in the pens with the other cows

wacocowboy":37auw2y4 said:
I bet you leave her alone with the herd long enough, and she will settle in, and sooner or later go up in the pens with the other cows
That's what we are doing at this moment. We are leave her alone for awhile till she goes in the pen and run her in chute. If it backfired then I guess I don't have a choice but let her stay here as low input cow that will never see a trailer again.

Finally got her bucket broke, led her to the holding pen and put her in chute. She went home to her owner today. The owner left me $150 for found his calf and take care of her while she was on our land.