Grubs and steers/ horses

Help Support CattleToday:

Mom32

Reaction score
We raise horses, new to cattle. Have 2 4-H steers, yearlings now, wormed last in Dec. with a pour-on Ivomec. Groom 30 - 60 minutes a few times each week. Today one had grubs popping out. Never before today. No winter for us this year, so Spring is springing early, but we thought we had eliminated the possibility of grubs.

Do we treat again, try to kill the grubs, or would that risk the health of the animal at this point?

How long will we have this condition? (Our sale is in April and this is gross)

Do these heel flies and their larvae have any interest in our horses (wormed on rotation every 6-8 weeks)?

Every day is new for us, we spend hours reading what you pros have to offer. Thanks a million.

Mom32":2nh3i1e2 said:
We raise horses, new to cattle. Have 2 4-H steers, yearlings now, wormed last in Dec. with a pour-on Ivomec. Groom 30 - 60 minutes a few times each week. Today one had grubs popping out. Never before today. No winter for us this year, so Spring is springing early, but we thought we had eliminated the possibility of grubs.

Do we treat again, try to kill the grubs, or would that risk the health of the animal at this point?

How long will we have this condition? (Our sale is in April and this is gross)

Do these heel flies and their larvae have any interest in our horses (wormed on rotation every 6-8 weeks)?

Every day is new for us, we spend hours reading what you pros have to offer. Thanks a million.

As Vicky The Vet once said - Beware of Ivomec at the wrong time. I personally think you had better wait now.

Bez!

This probably is not the best way to take care of grubs on show animals but we have had to do it on steers a month or so before a show.
We take a beer or soda bottle and put it over the grub then smack the bottom of the bottle. They will usually pop right out. Then spray it with wound dressing and PRAY. :lol:
It's worked for us but somebody might have a better suggestion. We just never liked to use any medication or wormer that close to a show.

rancherswife":1scypfsl said:
This probably is not the best way to take care of grubs on show animals but we have had to do it on steers a month or so before a show.
We take a beer or soda bottle and put it over the grub then smack the bottom of the bottle. They will usually pop right out. Then spray it with wound dressing and PRAY. :lol:
It's worked for us but somebody might have a better suggestion. We just never liked to use any medication or wormer that close to a show.

The old style glass bottles work the best. Don;t know about horses but I had a dog that got them once. May be a different species of grub but it looked just like the ox warble kind

dun

Cats and dogs get cuterebra, horses get bots (gastrophilus) and cattle get Hypoderma bovis...every species has it's own. If the cattle were ivomec'd with the actual product at the correct dose, I'd be really surprised. Either it was an incorrect dose, it was done on wet skin or it rained soon after, or you used a brand which was cheap and not necessarily the correct dose.

Latest posts