GRRR! When to sell?!

Help Support CattleToday:

Pickles Dillman

Reaction score
I've got a dang nice pen of 6 weight steers and hefers. Prices have been crap up here especially in Motley and Perham(Mn.) I just can't make up my mind if I should just go ahead and sell or hold on to them a month or two longer. I just ain't sure about feedin them any longer and coming out any better. What have you other Northern guys/gals been thinkin? Was hoping I could find a buyer for my top 20 head but that never came about. So it's sale barn with no other option so far. Opinions welcome and encouraged.
Thanks all, Pic

Pickles Dillman":2j17ljmc said:
I've got a dang nice pen of 6 weight steers and hefers. Prices have been crap up here especially in Motley and Perham(Mn.) I just can't make up my mind if I should just go ahead and sell or hold on to them a month or two longer. I just ain't sure about feedin them any longer and coming out any better. What have you other Northern guys/gals been thinkin? Was hoping I could find a buyer for my top 20 head but that never came about. So it's sale barn with no other option so far. Opinions welcome and encouraged.
Thanks all, Pic

It ain't just MN. Feeder prices are way low.
There is usually a seasonal improvement after Jan 1.

Pickles,

Might want to check out Sisseton SD. A bit further but we've been happy with them.

They post the market each week after the sale. Prices are down like all over but better than some!

there is alot of earlage being taken out here cause the corn is so wet,so i am thinking they will get higher after harvest,IMO

I would say its better to sell now and cut your losses rather than feed them this winter. I just sold a 4 y/o open cow, sent her down to F.L.A.M.E in Mass. (I'm in ME I can't get CRAP for her up here), paid $50 to truck her but still made out a lot better than I expected, I made $640 after the fees & trucking so I was happy.

LoveMoo11":23oz42e4 said:
I would say its better to sell now and cut your losses rather than feed them this winter. I just sold a 4 y/o open cow, sent her down to F.L.A.M.E in Mass. (I'm in ME I can't get CRAP for her up here), paid $50 to truck her but still made out a lot better than I expected, I made $640 after the fees & trucking so I was happy.

What did you pay for the cow you just sold?

No one can be certain, but generally the market gets better after Jan.1. Last year, I sold the first sale after Jan 1 and it was 20 dollars per hundred better than the last sale in December. Sometimes it is March before they come up. I just bought 24 pairs that are 3 in 1's and am planning on selling those calves, along with another 50 I have right after the first. Right or wrong, that is the way I am betting my money. Good luck

HerefordSire":5vctcyhg said:
LoveMoo11":5vctcyhg said:

What did you pay for the cow you just sold?

I raised her...so not much other than hay in the winter, which we make ourselves because she was out on pasture with the rest of them the rest of the time....I also got one calf out of her which didn't cost me anything because I got the bull she was bred to for free and i got money for the calf. I know she was worth more than that, she was a registered Bushwacker daughter, but with prices the way they are up here, I got a lot better deal than if I were to hang onto her, pay the cost to breed her (my cows are on a synch program now), etc. And she was a be nice (rest of my cows are calm as kittens) and I couldn't work with her efficiently so there was really no sense in hanging onto her. Either way, its done now and I think I'm better off.

Latest posts