Grrr.. Morning glory

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
OK, we have a few very small patches on our place that have morning glory.. what works to kill it off, preferably in a reliable fashion where it doesn't keep coming back up... glyphosate seems to kill the top off, but does squat to the roots. We want to keep this crap in check before it infests everything, at the moment there's 2 patches of about 20x20 feet.. I try to be organic wherever I can, but this stuff has gotta be hit hard and fast or else...

Try spot spraying some 2,4-D LV with a small backpack sprayer or even a hand can. Be prepared to revisit the area every two weeks until you have it knocked out. Roundup/glyphosate is not very effective controlling this weed.

A herbicide containing triclopyr is the answer. Remedy is one such that is labeled for pasture use. More economical generics (Element4 is what I use) are available. Triclopyr does not kill grasses as long as you don't get too much out there. Morning Glory is highly susceptible to triclopyr. Glyphosate is less than useless on morning glories.

Rajela":10uglnz2 said:
Where are you getting Element 4 Triclopyr Herbicide cheaper than Remedy?

Element 4 is $50/gallon in 30 gallon drums at Griffin's in Helena, Ga. It's around $56/gallon in 2.5 gallon jugs. For the small amount Nesi is talking about he probably ought to just get a quart of Remedy and he'd have more than enough for the job.

OK, thanks for the help, I'll see if I can pick it up around here...

We use very little, we've been doing it with a 1 quart trigger sprayer up til now, a quart of concentrate will probably last until my kids graduate

While we're on this, any of you have Clover/Alfalfa dodder? we've had a couple plants here and there, I take a tiger torch and scorch the earth bare if it's got seed pods, otherwise just pull it. don't know where the heck it's getting dragged in from, I've found in various places, and I'd hate for that stuff to get out of hand too

We had dodder in one hay field one year when it was really yet and soggy. That was around 10 years ago, never have seen it since. Maybe the clover choked it out. Others may know it as "witches hair".

dun":2vpcqdbc said:
We had dodder in one hay field one year when it was really yet and soggy. That was around 10 years ago, never have seen it since. Maybe the clover choked it out. Others may know it as "witches hair".

Found another 2 plants of dodder.. didn't have any blossoms or pods on it yet so I didn't care too much, but will take note of the location

Nesikep":umwmeqxr said:
dun":umwmeqxr said:

Found another 2 plants of dodder.. didn't have any blossoms or pods on it yet so I didn't care too much, but will take note of the location

Did a little research. Best way to control it is burning the host plant. That would entail spraying it with glyphosate and when it's did, burn it with fire. Next year apply a pre immergent herbicide to the area.

That's what I've been doing pretty much.. I just take a tiger torch and burn everything until there's nothing but scorched earth.. I find a couple plants a year, I couldn't imagine what a real infestation of the stuff would be like

Latest posts