Growing out Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

kilroy60

Reaction score
Decided to grow out some heifers this year to put back into the herd. Just wondering your thoughts on how much feed per day should be fed daily to get heifers to ideal weight for breeding. Currently around 600 - 625 lbs. Heifers are grazing on semi moderate grass but want to supplement feed for growth.

kilroy60 said:
Decided to grow out some heifers this year to put back into the herd. Just wondering your thoughts on how much feed per day should be fed daily to get heifers to ideal weight for breeding. Currently around 600 - 625 lbs. Heifers are grazing on semi moderate grass but want to supplement feed for growth.

Where are you located and what breed of cattle?

kilroy60 said:

How old are they now and at what age do you breed your heifers?

Heifers are Angus and approximately 8 months old. Located in North Georgia. Looking to breed around 15 months or so.

kilroy60 said:
Heifers are Angus and approximately 8 months old. Located in North Georgia. Looking to breed around 15 months or so.

This article has the information. A lot depends on your forage. I am exactly where you are currently. I have 9 month old heifers that I will breed at 15 months. In my case, the forage is all they need.
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/beef/facts/91-067.htm

Bright Raven said:
kilroy60 said:

This article has the information. A lot depends on your forage. I am exactly where you are currently. I have 9 month old heifers that I will breed at 15 months. In my case, the forage is all they need.
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/beef/facts/91-067.htm

Excellent information on that link Bird Man.

Keep them positive is what I've said about growing heifers out. They need to be kept growing and not going backwards but they don't need to be making feed yard type gains.

Allenw said:
Keep them positive is what I've said about growing heifers out. They need to be kept growing and not going backwards but they don't need to be making feed yard type gains.

Allen. So true. I have 7 that are 9 months old. They were on a limited amount of grain up until weaning. Right now they are on excellent forage. I am not feeding any supplements. They are growing and gaining. I don't want feed yard type gains.

I like them to just steadily grow. They need to do some better then just gaining frame.

kilroy60 said:

We typically retain heifers for breeding. Some go in our herd some are sold bred. As others have stated frame growth on green grass with some added weight is all I'd worry about right now. If you add too much supplement to them while on green grass you will probably end up with some real fat heifers which could hurt you down the road. Our heifers are typically 750-800# at breeding (1000# or so at first calf). If you have a good low birth weight bull you don't need them at 1200# when first calf is born. I think it's all about steady day to day gain. Not throwing everything at them to speed up growth.

kilroy60 said:
Heifers are Angus and approximately 8 months old. (600-625Lbs) Located in North Georgia.
Looking to breed around 15 months or so.
7 months is 210 days
200 x 1.25 lb day = 250 lbs
600-625 + 250 = 850-875 lbs at breeding (provide salt & mineral)
They'll be fine growing on grass, I wouldn't supplement energy unless they start to look drawn down
with bcs less than 6.

We wean our spring born heifers in the fall. If we have wheat pasture we run them on wheat. If not they are run on old grass, free choice hay and 22% cubes 3 times a week. We turn the bull in around June 1st. After we turn in the bull they stay on grass until they calve. After the first hard freeze they will get hay and cake cubes twice a week along with free choice minerals. We calve our heifers from 24-27 months of age. They normally weigh 1,100-1,200 when they calve. We calve in a pasture. With the last late calver due any day we gaven't pulled a calf this year.

Latest posts