grounding an electric fence

Help Support CattleToday:

spoon

Reaction score
I know from reading that 3 eight ft ground rods properly spaced are recommended for grounding the fence. My problem is that I don't think we have over 2-3 feet of dirt where I need to put this fence up. The whole place sits on top of sandstone with a cliff along one side. So can the ground rods be driven in at an angle to get the entire rod in the ground? Or should I cut up my 8' rods into 12 two foot rods? Or am I going to have to drill? Anyone else had to deal with this?

spoon":27x7w774 said:
I know from reading that 3 eight ft ground rods properly spaced are recommended for grounding the fence. My problem is that I don't think we have over 2-3 feet of dirt where I need to put this fence up. The whole place sits on top of sandstone with a cliff along one side. So can the ground rods be driven in at an angle to get the entire rod in the ground? Or should I cut up my 8' rods into 12 two foot rods? Or am I going to have to drill? Anyone else had to deal with this?
We just drive them as far as they will go, cut it off a couple of inches above the surface and drive in the rest a ways away

They need to hit ground moisture. Try one rod where you can and as deep as you can and see if that gets you what you need. Ive only got one ground rod but ive got sand and water table is 3 ft below grade

You can also dig a ditch as deep as you can go and put it in horizontal......as long as you have proper moisture. Or if you go with shorter rods, just put more of them in.

Thanks all. I was planning on doing what Dun suggested but wanted to get a 2nd opinion. I don't think getting plenty of moisture will be a problem if I drive them down to the rock. We have lots of wet weather little springs that pop up due to all the water running under the dirt during the winter and early spring. If we have a real dry summer I may run into a problem.

spoon":3f4y8f8a said:
Thanks all. I was planning on doing what Dun suggested but wanted to get a 2nd opinion. I don't think getting plenty of moisture will be a problem if I drive them down to the rock. We have lots of wet weather little springs that pop up due to all the water running under the dirt during the winter and early spring. If we have a real dry summer I may run into a problem.
It won;t be a problem. Our soil is pretty much the same as you described. Last june and july we had high winds and temps and not a drop of rain. The furthest fence from the ground rods, about a mile, was still hot enough to keep everyone in. It lost maybe 500 volts from the normal times.

Latest posts