Grilling Lean Beef ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Just butchered one that fooled me. Turned out pretty lean. Any grilling tips other than going rare and putting on some butter at the end of the process?

I've got just the opposite problem. That Stine we butchered is so fat, I have a HORRIBLE time not burning the out side before the inside is cooked.

SBMF 2015 said:
I've got just the opposite problem. That Stine we butchered is so fat, I have a HORRIBLE time not burning the out side before the inside is cooked.

Had a greasy Jersey like that. You can just sear the outside on the grill, and then into an iron skillet, also on the grill, to finish. I usually put a little olive oil in the skillet.

Stocker Steve said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Had a greasy Jersey like that. You can just sear the outside on the grill, and then into an iron skillet, also on the grill, to finish. I usually put a little olive oil in the skillet.

Thanks, I'll have to try that. I cremated two ribeyes the other night. :cry2: They started out hanging over the edges of a dinner plate. They should have been Amazing!

SBMF 2015 said:

Do a reverse sear. Cook it on a much lower temp until you get close to desired doneness, then crank up grill and Then sear both sides. I have some 2 inch ribeyes I'm doing this weekend and will have to do it this way.

Stocker Steve said:
chaded Do a reverse sear. [/quote said:

In SBMF 2015's case he is burning the outside before the inside is cooked. A reverse sear allows you to basically get the inside cooked without burning the outside. Then you put your sear on afterwards.

In your case of really lean meat, you can pound the crap out of it, marinate the crap out of it or eat it on the rarer side (can't cook it long). That's why there is a premium on well marbled meat.

Many grill really really hot. That is one reason greasy meat is a premium. Much harder to dry out. Just spray a little water when the flames get extra high.

The sear is not actually required, but I like it. Kill it and grill it. I once went to MT with a 36# case of butter.

If your goal is to cook slowly at a low temp, then the grill it not a good tool choice. Crock pot? Oven? Smoker? Chili?

If you can control your grill temperature it is an excellent tool. I can do it with my rec tec pellet grill, kamado, or even my weber.

Stocker Steve said:
Just butchered one that fooled me. Turned out pretty lean. Any grilling tips other than going rare and putting on some butter at the end of the process?

Get the grill as hot as possible. Salt and Pepper. Cooked rare.

Salatin preaches that lean beef can be tender and delicious, and it is to be cooked long, low and slow.

For marketing reasons, I too am intrigued with cooking lean beef...I think many a consumer is tired of "draining" cheap supermarket beef.

Latest posts