Greyhound bus safety? PG 13+

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I don't know how many have already heard about this, but it is the most gruesome horrific thing that I have heard happening in a long time. My mom will take the Greyhound to see her family in Sask. when she goes alone as it is too far to drive by herself. I can tell you now that that is NOT ever going to happen again unless they make some serious changes.

Not for the squeamish and read at your own risk.

Thu, July 31, 2008

RCMP say they don't know what prompted Greyhound slaying
By STEVE LAMBERT, The Canadian Press

Day decries bus stabbing as one-of-a-kind in Canadian history Witness: Man beheaded on Greyhound bus
Police at the scene
Greyhound slaying
WINNIPEG — Police said Thursday they didn't know what prompted a passenger on a Greyhound bus heading to Winnipeg to viciously attack the man sitting next to him.

Passengers said the man repeatedly stabbed his seat-mate before beheading him and carrying the victim's head around the bus.

RCMP Staff Sgt. Steve Colwell wouldn't confirm those details, but did say a 40-year-old suspect was in RCMP custody and police were planning to interview him.

No charges were immediately laid.

Colwell said the behaviour of the passengers and driver probably prevented anyone else from being hurt.

"It's not something that happens regularly on a bus," he said. "You're sitting there enjoying your trip and then all of a sudden somebody gets stabbed. I imagine it would be pretty traumatic ... the way they acted was extraordinary."

Colwell said they "were very brave. They reacted swiftly, calmly in exiting the bus and as a result nobody else was injured."

Shocked passengers described the horrific attack as something incomprehensible.

One moment, the quiet man near the back of the bus was minding his own business. The man hadn't talked to anyone around him, and seemed to pay no attention to the younger fellow sitting next to him, who was listening to music on headphones.

The next moment, witnesses said, the older man stood up, still quiet, and repeatedly stabbed, then beheaded his younger victim.

"We heard this blood-curdling scream and turned around, and the guy was standing up, stabbing this guy repeatedly, like 40 or 50 times," Garnet Caton said Thursday from a hotel in Brandon, Man., where he and other passengers had been taken to rest.

"There was no rage or anything. He was like a robot, stabbing the guy."

Caton said the bus stopped and everyone scrambled to get out while the attacker started methodically carving up the victim's body, not paying attention to anyone else.

Caton and the driver shut the bus door from the outside while they waited for police to arrive.

"We put our bodies up against the door, waiting for him to come out ... and he went back and brought the head to the front and pretty much displayed it ... and dropped it on the ground in front of us," Caton said.

"All very calmly. He was wearing sunglasses. It was no big deal to him."

Fellow passenger Cody Olmstead from Kentville, N.S., also recalled the chilling scene.

"The guy came to the front of the door with buddy's head in his hands, decapitated. He dropped the head and went back and started cutting the body back up," Olmstead said.

When police arrived, the victim and his attacker were the only ones left on the bus, Colwell said.

"When attempts were made to have him exit and surrender to police were unsuccessful, additional resources including the RCMP emergency response team and negotiator team were called in to assist."

The man eventually tried to flee by breaking a bus window and jumping out, Colwell said.

"He was immediately subdued and arrested without incident and is currently in RCMP custody."

Both Olmstead and Caton said the attacker and the victim appeared not to know each other.

They said the attacker boarded the bus in Brandon Wednesday night. The victim, who Caton said appeared to be about 19, had been on the bus since Edmonton.

Police would not confirm the victim's age and said his name would not be released until his family had been notified. The suspect's name wasn't released either.

Federal Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day said the full weight of the law must be brought to bear on the perpetrator.

"We want to make sure the process is followed as aggressively as possible, the full legal process ...." Day said from Levis, Que., where Conservative MPs are gathered for a summer planning session.

"This particular incident, as horrific as it is, is obviously extremely rare. Certainly the horrific nature of it is probably one-of-a-kind in Canadian history."

Greyhound called the event tragic but isolated.

A company spokeswoman said bus travel is the safest mode of transportation, despite the fact bus stations do not have metal detectors and other security measures used at airports.

"Due to the rural nature of our network, airport-type security is not practical. It's a very different type of system," Abby Wambaugh said from Greyhound's corporate offices in Texas.

The bus was carrying 37 passengers and the driver to Winnipeg from Edmonton.

A portion of the east-bound Trans-Canada Highway was closed overnight as officers remained on the scene.

Passengers had not explanation either as to what might have prompted the attack. The suspect had been on the bus for only about an hour and didn't even sit near his victim at first.

"He sat in the front at first, everything was normal," Caton said.

"We went to the next stop and he got off and had a smoke with another young lady there. When he got on the bus again, he came to the back near where I was sitting.

"He put his bags in the overhead compartment. He didn't say a word to anybody. He seemed totally normal. About a half an hour later, we heard this blood-curdling scream."

Here is a list of some violent attacks that have occurred on Greyhound passenger buses in Canada during the past eight years:

—July 30, 2008. Man killed and beheaded on board a Greyhound bus near Portage La Prairie, Man. Police arrest a suspect.

—Dec. 24, 2007. A 27-year-old man is stabbed after an argument with another passenger on a Greyhound bus near Tweed, Ont. A 37-year-old American man is charged with attempted murder.

—Feb. 16, 2007. A group of people in their 20's attack and beat the driver of a Greyhound bus in Lloydminster, Alta.

—Dec. 23, 2000. A man attempts to take control of a Greyhound bus near Thunder Bay, Ont. Thirty-two passengers are injured when the bus lands on its side in a ditch. One woman later dies of her injuries.

—March, 2000. A pregnant woman is attacked by a man on a Greyhound bus in London, Ont. The woman suffered injuries to her arms.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The crimes visited on random people are the scariest crimes. Fortunately, the chances your mother will encounter anyone like that on a Greyhound are infinitessimal. Still pretty scary.

edit: I just read the end of that article, detailing crimes on Greyhound busses over the last few years. Good thing you Canadians don't have guns. Things might get really violent.

It puzzles me that such peaceful people have so much crime on busses. Are y'all bad backseat drivers or something? Mental illness knows no borders. The folks who do this are sick. Every country has them.

Colwell said they "were very brave. They reacted swiftly, calmly in exiting the bus and as a result nobody else was injured."

"We heard this blood-curdling scream and turned around, and the guy was standing up, stabbing this guy repeatedly, like 40 or 50 times," Garnet Caton said Thursday from a hotel in Brandon, Man., where he and other passengers had been taken to rest.

Caton said the bus stopped and everyone scrambled to get out while the attacker started methodically carving up the victim's body, not paying attention to anyone else.

Sick. :eek: But, what's more horrific isn't that the guy was killed and beheaded... it was that the other passengers are lauded as bravely leaving the bus. The creep stabbed this fellow 40-50 times! Did no one even attempt to do anything about it??? I don't see anything brave about leaving the premises and locking the murderer and his (live?!) victim inside the bus.

MM, I totally agree with you. Not one person made an attempt to stop him??? A whole bus load of people against one guy? Granted, he was crazy and had a knife, but say if ONLY FIVE guys ganged up on him, he probably wouldn't have stood a chance.

Poor kid, can you imagine his family?......... :mad:

milkmaid":1msi143a said:

Sick. :eek: But, what's more horrific isn't that the guy was killed and beheaded... it was that the other passengers are lauded as bravely leaving the bus. The creep stabbed this fellow 40-50 times! Did no one even attempt to do anything about it??? I don't see anything brave about leaving the premises and locking the murderer and his (live?!) victim inside the bus.

My thoughts exactly!! There weren't 2 or three guys who wanted to help this young kid out??

Yahoo News just posted an article about this... quote, "As the three guarded the door with a crow bar and a hammer, the attacker went back to the body and calmly came to the front of the bus to show off the head."

They had a crowbar.

A crowbar!

Wasn't even as if they didn't have a weapon to use against him. :roll: IMO the people on that bus don't deserve praise. Perhaps one could argue that in the shock of the moment they didn't know how to react and so nothing negative should be said about them, and maybe so (I can't say if I'd respond the way I ought in a shocking situation like that)... but they certainly do NOT deserve to be praised for their actions (or lack thereof).

edit: I just read the end of that article, detailing crimes on Greyhound busses over the last few years. Good thing you Canadians don't have guns. Things might get really violent.

Yes God forbid it was a country where concealed carry was legal. Someone who was legally carrying a handgun might have just stood up and double tapped the freakin lunatic. I can see the headlines now pointed knives to be outlawed and confiscated in Canada. Well the good news is at least he didn't shoot the poor kid before he beheaded him.

Well, let's call this like it is . About 17 of these people would have been so called men (it's not the responsibilty of the women) and should have taken care of this . This poor 19 year old kid had the misfortune of being on a bus with 17 cowards . How could they face this kids parents ?

Larry

I agree with MM.
There are 2 types of people in the world.
Those that run from danger.
Those the run towards danger.
Looks like that poor kid had the first type on the bus with him.
My deepest sympathy goes out to that boy's family.

Let this be a warning to our neighbors to the south. Don't ever lose your right to carry arms due to the voices of the hippies in the cities. At least you can protect yourselves. This bus apparently had a whole lot of worthless city cowards who have to rely on cops to do anything worth praising. :cowboy: .

Regardless, I took the bus enough times to realize its a freak show and that no one should ever put a child on a bus, either alone or with someone. I am also one Canuck who would definitely have a CC permit if it were legal here. Shoot first, question later. :cowboy:

Okay, at the risk of getting graphic here, do you realize how much effort it takes to sever a head? There's bone and muscle and tendons... That had to have taken a while, or the fellow had a pretty big and sharp knife. Honest to Pete, who stands around and lets someone do that? How long did this go on? Can you imagine how that boy felt while he was still alive, that he was being attacked and no one was helping? He was screaming.

If those guys had been on that United flight on Sept 11th, it would have crashed into the White House.

I don't see how the men on that bus can forgive themselves.

Well I saw more about this on the news last night. Apparently a couple of the younger men on the bus did try to stop him but were also attacked . The bus driver pulled the bus over and everyone exited ,the crow bar was not in the bus but outside in the storage.

Lammie 99 percent of people that take the bus do so for a reason ,there is no way they would ever be allowed to fly weather monetary reasons or the fact that a lot don't even have ID, look around your local terminal some time.

The young man that was murdered apparently was going back home after working the carnival's around Edmonton.

The whole story is sad as it is a reflection as to what is becoming of this world where you just don't know what people are capable of. The bus ride was a long one and people even talked to that pscychopath during "smoke" breaks on the trip ,they had no clue that he was mentally deranged .

We'll see what else comes out after the police get time to investigate.

Aaron":3urffn5x said:
Let this be a warning to our neighbors to the south. Don't ever lose your right to carry arms due to the voices of the hippies in the cities. At least you can protect yourselves. This bus apparently had a whole lot of worthless city cowards who have to rely on cops to do anything worth praising. :cowboy: .

Regardless, I took the bus enough times to realize its a freak show and that no one should ever put a child on a bus, either alone or with someone. I am also one Canuck who would definitely have a CC permit if it were legal here. Shoot first, question later. :cowboy:
Thats all well and dandy but you have to remember the Americans have been able to carry hand guns for ever --and understand how and when to use them .But I am sure that if they made hand guns legal for every one to carry ,up here The ones that would have them are the people that shouldn,t have them

carlos

Carlos D.":1ypvpyfm said:
Aaron":1ypvpyfm said:

Thats all well and dandy but you have to remember the Americans have been able to carry hand guns for ever --and understand how and when to use them .But I am sure that if they made hand guns legal for every one to carry ,up here The ones that would have them are the people that shouldn,t have them

carlos

So in other words. Your saying that the situation up here really can only get better. Because the only people that have guns up here and use them on a regular basis at this time, is criminals and killers. No country can ever protect it's citizens 100%. Let alone the fact that we can never stop the gun smuggling. You could be a US deer hunter and bring in 1/2 dozen guns and "lose" 1/2, to all, of them up here for a pretty penny.

Carlos D.":3u6r1z6h said:
Aaron":3u6r1z6h said:

carlos

Hate to tell you Carlos but those people who shouldn't have them already do. In Canada and the US.
They couldn't care less what your government or ours have to say.

No offense Aaron you and I are definately on the same side, but it's not the American hunters who are smugling guns into Canada. I don't think we could even bring a handgun into the country legally and then lose it, and rifles are not the problem who's gonna hold up the convenience store with a 30-06. Your problem is more likely to be gangbangers out of Detroit than American hunters.

milkmaid":3qjng6o5 said:
Yahoo News just posted an article about this... quote, "As the three guarded the door with a crow bar and a hammer, the attacker went back to the body and calmly came to the front of the bus to show off the head."

They had a crowbar.

A crowbar!

Wasn't even as if they didn't have a weapon to use against him. :roll: IMO the people on that bus don't deserve praise. Perhaps one could argue that in the shock of the moment they didn't know how to react and so nothing negative should be said about them, and maybe so (I can't say if I'd respond the way I ought in a shocking situation like that)... but they certainly do NOT deserve to be praised for their actions (or lack thereof).

A big machette was what i heard.....I don't know how many want to tackle a lunatic wielding a knife like that! On the other hand, too bad he didn't have a gun to open fire on the passengers! EH? :x

Yes I suppose one dead hacked up kid is better than 30 shot.
Onthebit
You miss the point. The criminal will always find the means to carry out his or her plan, whether its' a gun, knife, hammer , or a bomb. The will get the job done. Like was said earlier the police cannot and sometimes will not protect us. Based on that logic which by the way works for me and a lot of other people, you tell me why we as a people have to be forced to sit around and watch a lunitic butcher some kid because we don't have the means to stop him. and unless you're from Canada don't use the expression EH. It's disrespectful.

One last thought watch some nature programs sometime. Watch what the herd does when one of their kind is attacked, they run away glad it wasn't them. Sound familiar????

The only exception I have seen to this is when a Lion attacked a Cape Buffalo calf. The herd came back and tore the lion a new one. Why? because they were armed with the weapons(horns and strength to use them) they needed to save the calf. That's all Aaron and me and a lot of other people want. The means to defend ourselves. The neat thing is if you don't, then don't carry a gun. Just don't tell me what I can do to protect me and mine, it's not your business.

Well I'm off to a gun show(for real) see ya'll later.

There are a lot of facts still coming out. But unless something drastic is made known I will side with this expert.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/ ... 6-sun.html

There is a reason the police commended these people. This psycho was looking for a blood bath. They deprived him of it.

The young fellow was dead the moment he let the freak sit beside him, nothing even some of you komputer kommandos could have done for him. Maybe some of you could discuss tubular assault here and let us all know why trains, planes, and other "tubes" are so difficult to deal with.

My heart goes out to him and his family, but lets not lay blame at the feet of some folks who exercised darned good judgement in a stressful situation. Oh, and BIG diff between this situation and an aircraft in flight.

3waycross":1oqngqtm said:
No offense Aaron you and I are definately on the same side, but it's not the American hunters who are smugling guns into Canada. I don't think we could even bring a handgun into the country legally and then lose it, and rifles are not the problem who's gonna hold up the convenience store with a 30-06. Your problem is more likely to be gangbangers out of Detroit than American hunters.

Sorry 3way, perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly. I don't blame American hunters for smuggling guns...far from it. :lol: But everyone up here knows it is a possibility. Some fella wants a special type of shot gun or whatever...if he can't get it up here, he can have his buddy come over for hunting and leave it. There is no way to trace US guns once they are in here. Again, too many hippies up here that want the whole country to appease them. I for one would feel a lot safer with a S&W .45 in the glove box and one at home. Thankfully I live in a very isolated part of the country and don't have to worry about psycho killers like the big city dwellers do. :cowboy:

Latest posts