Kid Safety

Help Support CattleToday:

Bill21342

Reaction score
Well recently my kid got a go-kart for his Birthday, he's riding nearby the house but my wife is afraid of letting him ride w/o a helmet. Noone used to wear helmets in our childhood, we're doing good w/o them. He's not a professional racer, he's just playing around on a low speed. So, is it necessary to buy a helmet? And if yes which one?

Yes, he needs a helmet and make sure that there is a seatbelt and a roll bar on the kart. Head and neck injuries are not something to even take a risk on! Ask yourself, is it worth the risk (no matter how small) of his being paralyzed for the rest of his life or killed?

The reason why kids wear helmets now is because we have learned better. Depends on his age. My 2 year old will wear a full cage helmet on his ATV as that is what was recommended. They also suggest a hockey helmet/snowboarding helmet something like that. A bike helmet wont be good enough. Under the age of 6 he should be wearing a neck brace. Its a piece of foam that slips between his helmet and shoulders on his neck. Children under the age of 6 are at high risk of a compacted neck fracture. This prevents that from happening from the big up and downs he will get when he rides.

Remember that he will feed off of your reaction. I am also a nagging wife and my husband also doesn't think our son needs it but they do. You should get yourself a helmet and show him you wear it too or if he is old enough you have to tell him he rides with one or not at all.

I am not into a lot of that safety gear but a helmet is always something I insist my grandson uses in situations like that. Kids of this generation are used to wearing all the gear so not the impediment on them that it is to me.

Ken

Why risk it? Our community is mourning the death of a 7 year old that tragically passed last week. It was just a horrific, freak accident. But how would you feel if you could have prevented it?

I guess it's cheap insurance..the helmet.
I never wore one on a gokart, bicycle, horse or anywhere else and much of time never wore one in combat, but, we do things different with our kids/grandkids I guess.

Bill21342 said:
Well recently my kid got a go-kart for his Birthday..... He's not a professional racer....
So, is it necessary to buy a helmet?
It depends... is he six or twenty six?
Does he have brothers that he wouldn't be missed much, or could he easily be replaced?
:)

wbvs58 said:
I am not into a lot of that safety gear but a helmet is always something I insist my grandson uses in situations like that. Kids of this generation are used to wearing all the gear so not the impediment on them that it is to me.

Ken
im more paticular with my grandkids, then I was their parents.. :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken
im more paticular with my grandkids, then I was their parents.. :cowboy:

Or your parents were with you.

Or mine with me for that matter.

Nope unfortunately my mother and grandmother both worked at Huntsville hospital..I couldn't do anything..never got a motorcycle till I was older ..no mini bikes or go kart me..we did have horses ..

Acorrding to my Dil. Running down jackrabbits with the utv while the boys sit in the back gunning them down with
22 rifle's is unsafe even if their wearing hard hats. She's from ****ing Michigan ....go figure.

callmefence said:
Acorrding to my Dil. Running down jackrabbits with the utv while the boys sit in the back gunning them down with
22 rifle's is unsafe even if their wearing hard hats. She's from be nice Michigan ....go figure.
Great fun..we used to do it every evening in the red top fields at my uncles' place in Nolan County. Them jacks were in there by the hundreds every evening and night. We rode on an old cotton trailer pulled by a tractor or just bumped along in the back of uncle's old pickup. Uncle would cut the ears off..I think the county was still paying a bounty back then.

ALACOWMAN said:
Nope unfortunately my mother and grandmother both worked at Huntsville hospital..I couldn't do anything..never got a motorcycle till I was older ..no mini bikes or go kart me..we did have horses ..

I know where you are coming from. My grandfather got kicked in the head by a horse and my mum spent six months visiting him in the rehabilitation center which was full to the brim with motorbike victims. Just walking on gravel would make her freak someone could slip and fall. Luckily dad was carefree and we got to do a fair bit though.

But i also would put safety gear on the op child. We have more knowledge these days as mentioned and can take precautions. Plus i don't know how the laws are there, but here if some tragedy happens you can end up being charged with your own childs manslaughter. That would be a really bad situation to end up in. Even the thought of it hurts.

A family we know lost an 8 year old in a UTV accident about 15-16 months ago. It was such a horrible tragedy. A helmet might well have saved her. I wouldn't consider letting a child on an ATV, UTV, go cart, mini bike, etc... without one. Yeah they're hot and a pain in the butt, but it's just better safe than sorry.

I started riding motorcycles about 12, and my mother swore she'd take it away from me if she ever caught me without a helmet (she would've too). To this day I wouldn't ride a motorcycle without one. We made our kids wear them on ATV's til they were 18 - they still do if they're playing, not if they're checking cows. Their choice. But no I don't wear one on atv's or utv's on the farm either - but if we had little kids around and that's what it took to convince them to, I'd do it.

Kid's helmets always reminds me of a story in the Olympia paper. A kid got injured. I don't remember how bad. The kid came down a hill on his bike, ran a stop sign, and crashed into the side of a van. The paper said he might not have been hurt as bad if he had been wearing a helmet. I said he might not have been hurt at all if he hadn't run into the van. Teaching kids to be responsible for their actions and that some things will hurt you is much more important than strapping safety gear on to them. But it does require work on the part of the parent.

Latest posts