Green Springs Bull Test Station

Help Support CattleToday:

Mike:

Have you given any thought to using the DNA markers for feed efficiency? It would be interesting to see how the results correlate to the bull's feed efficiency on test.

beef":23j99qh1 said:
Mike:

Have you given any thought to using the DNA markers for feed efficiency? It would be interesting to see how the results correlate to the bull's feed efficiency on test.

We talked about having all the bulls DNA'ed for feed efficiency next year. The PHD who runs the test wants to do some research on it.

Mike:

What do you and others who have been involved in efficiency testing think about the marker test? Is it something you all will be doing in your herds (apart from the test animals you mentioned) or looking at when selecting sires? Would it help you select bulls to place on test?

beef":3gyv2grd said:
Mike:

I would like to try that Beefy. Maybe I will give it a try.

THG

Mike:

What do you and others who have been involved in efficiency testing think about the marker test? Is it something you all will be doing in your herds (apart from the test animals you mentioned) or looking at when selecting sires? Would it help you select bulls to place on test?

beef":22ijqoo8 said:
Mike:

I have not used it. Was talking to some researchers a while back and their mindset was that it might work someday when more markers are identified.

I have my doubts about it being very indicative at this point myself.

Why don't we just test the actual animals themselves in the feedlot, instead of testing just bulls?

http://jas.fass.org/cgi/content/full/84/3/767

THG":15penacn said:
Jovid":15penacn said:
THG":15penacn said:
Jovid":15penacn said:
We are taking four head to Connors College in Warner OK December 1st.

I have checked out both places and Connors was the best choice for several reasons.
What breed do you raise?

THG

Red Poll
How well do they sell for you Jovid?

THG

We have had real good luck selling our Red Polls. There is a good demand for them.

beef":pl2qro6g said:
Mike:

The four bulls we will be putting in the test already have had the dna test so we will be able to evaluate some of the dna data against performance.

I have taken bulls there in the past and will in the future. Green Springs will do you a very good job. They have a new set up to measure the feed efficiency now.

Jovid":2jfayitn said:
beef":2jfayitn said:
Mike:

The four bulls we will be putting in the test already have had the dna test so we will be able to evaluate some of the dna data against performance.
Jovid, are your bulls on the Green Springs Bull Test?

THG

r and s peckman":1he9f58c said:
I have taken bulls there in the past and will in the future. Green Springs will do you a very good job. They have a new set up to measure the feed efficiency now.
That is really great news to hear.

THG

THG":2jpym8s5 said:
Jovid":2jpym8s5 said:
beef":2jpym8s5 said:
Mike:

THG

No they will be going to Connors College in Warner OK the first of December. We looked at Green Springs but there was a couple of things we didn't like so we chose Connors

Jovid":e68nee4y said:
THG":e68nee4y said:
Jovid":e68nee4y said:
beef":e68nee4y said:
Mike:

THG

No they will be going to Connors College in Warner OK the first of December. We looked at Green Springs but there was a couple of things we didn't like so we chose Connors
Oh really, what didn't you like about the Green Springs Bull Test Station?

THG

Latest posts