Green manure from baby calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Had a second calf cow calve Saturday. Buzzards were flying around and sitting in trees over her as she had gotten off by herself and was close to calving so we got her up to the barn. She had her calf a few hours later. We gave it a tube of First Defense as we have with a few others lately. Turned it out the next day and it seemed weaker than it should so again brought the pair back in. The calf's manure was literally as green as a bright green as the plastic fake green grass that used to be in Easter baskets. Today the manure is pretty much normal calf yellow but still streaked with the green. We wondered if the blue colored First Defense paste had turned it that color.

I've used First Defense boluses (they're blue) for years and have never seen bright green poo but I have with Pro Bios and Nursemate ASAP gel. I'm assuming the gel/paste would be the culprit.

Id say its highly likely. No different than you eating a blue ice cream...

At first I thought it was Meconium but then read 'bright' green. Blue + yellow = green... that must have been a little wacky :D .

Thanks y'all, we were hoping it was just the coloring from the paste. Calf seems fine today. I hadn't seen any of the other calves manure that we give the First Defense to so when we saw that bright green it was one of those oh oh moments. After what seemed like a few minutes of standing there completely bumfuzzled my wife out of the blue said blue and yellow make green. So we started hoping that was the case.

From the First Defense Tri-Shield label:

"Blue dye is non-digestible serving as a tracker through the system to ensure calf received treatment. First fecal stool after administration will be blue in color."

redcowsrule33 said:

"Blue dye is non-digestible serving as a tracker through the system to ensure calf received treatment. First fecal stool after administration will be blue in color."

I didn't read the label. :lol:

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Ky hills said:
redcowsrule33 said:

I didn't read the label. :lol:

Tighten up William.

I don't think I can tighten the belt up much more than it already is.

Latest posts