Green board and batten siding

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
i just milled some poplar board and batten siding for my new polebarn i have never used green wood before... i plan on painting this next year but I wondered if i could spray it with oil diesel and boric acid to prevent termites and to seal it. if i do that will i be able to paint it next year when its completely dried out ? I also wondered if i should spray some form of termite killer on it as well. I was gonna use treated 5/4 in decking boards across the raftors to screw the metal roofing too has anyone ever used that?

My experience with green wood is that you better fasten it down tight and the nails/screws close togehter. Otherwise it will warp and shrink way to much to be much use.

skyhightree1":12rbbx3t said:
i just milled some poplar board and batten siding for my new polebarn i have never used green wood before... i plan on painting this next year but I wondered if i could spray it with oil diesel and boric acid to prevent termites and to seal it. if i do that will i be able to paint it next year when its completely dried out ? I also wondered if i should spray some form of termite killer on it as well. I was gonna use treated 5/4 in decking boards across the raftors to screw the metal roofing too has anyone ever used that?
Depending on rafter spacing, plain old 2x4 or 2x6 yellow pine is fine. Don't need the preservitives, It is under the roof and will stay dry if you use tech screws to fasten the tin.

If you turn the growth rings toward the framing and nail the boards at least a inch and a half from the edge and in the middle, you should be OK. When you look at the butt end of the board (the cut end), you can see the growth rings. A board will typically cup the same direction as the rings are curved, so if you turn it where the ends of the rings are against the framing it will minimise the cupping. If you nail green boards too close to the edges, the edges will split when drying. Be sure to butt them up tight to each other when putting them on because they will shrink up to an inch in width depending on how wet they are. I hope that makes sense.

Latest posts