Great cow, bad mom

Help Support CattleToday:

garnetann

Reaction score
Venting. Do you ever have a cow that is perfect confirmation, great milker, but dumber than a bag of hammers? Her first calf turned out to be my best steer, came through fine in spite of the sloppy way mom raised him. Not attentive, always leaving him behind. Is happening again this year. Her this year calf was left behind when he got on the other side of the fence today. We got him back through, warmed him up and put him in with mom. Put him and mom in cow jail for the evening. It is like if the calf happens to be around she takes care of it but if it is not around, she does not miss it. Last year was perfect weather, this year is the winter that will never end, so dealing with the weather is a problem this year...

garnetann":1ovplyp2 said:
Venting. Do you ever have a cow that is perfect confirmation, great milker, but dumber than a bag of hammers? Her first calf turned out to be my best steer, came through fine in spite of the sloppy way mom raised him. Not attentive, always leaving him behind. Is happening again this year. Her this year calf was left behind when he got on the other side of the fence today. We got him back through, warmed him up and put him in with mom. Put him and mom in cow jail for the evening. It is like if the calf happens to be around she takes care of it but if it is not around, she does not miss it.

Great cow bad mother is an oxymoron.
She is not a great cow but a cull if she isn't doing her job raising the calf.

Some cows are not very attentive but still raise a good calf. I have several that I never see hunting jr up and several that grab him and go stand 100 yds away like something is up. A calf that's big enough to follow mamma ought to be able to climb through a fence I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just keep an eye out and try not to be overly involved unless needed.

Caustic Burno":2az6jmko said:
garnetann":2az6jmko said:
Venting. Do you ever have a cow that is perfect confirmation, great milker, but dumber than a bag of hammers? Her first calf turned out to be my best steer, came through fine in spite of the sloppy way mom raised him. Not attentive, always leaving him behind. Is happening again this year. Her this year calf was left behind when he got on the other side of the fence today. We got him back through, warmed him up and put him in with mom. Put him and mom in cow jail for the evening. It is like if the calf happens to be around she takes care of it but if it is not around, she does not miss it.

Great cow bad mother is an oxymoron.
She is not a great cow but a cull if she isn't doing her job raising the calf.

Ditto...
especially if it is a pattern with more than one calf.
might forgive a heifer for being a bit confused at first but not the second time...
i would not sell a cow that causes problems to a friend or customer either...
that is the kind that stock yards are built for...

Seems to be somewhat hereditary.
Herfords mothers up better than angus, Limis mother up better than simi, and so on.
Could be genes, could be learned, could be both.
That kind could cost you a calf in poor conditions...

I had a couple like that over the years. Sale barn material as soon as I discovered the problem. As with you, super "looking" cows and sad to see her go. Usually black are super moms.

Stocker Steve. Herefords mother up better than Angus? Not my experience but then there is a difference in all cattle.

I thought everybody bought a good ole Brangus cow to babysit for inattentive mammas.

W.B.":30tl68w4 said:
Stocker Steve. Herefords mother up better than Angus? Not my experience but then there is a difference in all cattle.

You have a special strain of black cattle out there. I get to see lots of the old girls, hundreds per Saturday sale. after they have been trucked east to gum corn silage and alfalfa mix hay for a couple more winters. An impressive percentage of these Dakota transplants try to eat the ring man. This may save on paying a premium for a Brangus or Brimmer calf sitter, but I am getting to old to rodeo, and would not feel safe on foot in the pasture with the good mom/bad cow kind.

I have some great Dakota cow stories if you get over this way. The last breakout STARTS with the lead cow declining to be processed and almost clearing a oil field pipe panel, but a hind leg caught between the top two pipes, and then 2/3 of the rest tried to follow...

She is half Angus half Simmental. Today, she was being a lot more attentive. We are watching her closely. She is so good natured, so will make a decision this summer when the baby is bigger. Baby was following mom better and she was talking to him and checking to be sure he was there today. Maybe a night in cow jail helped...

Yes Angus are more prone to attacking mankind at calving time. They are more protective against coyotes also. We have been having a bit of weather this calving season and the S Summit daughters will go any where you want and never take a bite out of you. Easier to handle than A Hereford because they will follow a calf.

Sure seem to be a lot of Angus tall tales here. Pick what you want, breed for it. If your cows cannot tell the difference in you and a coyote then it is not the cow's problem.

Latest posts