Great American Barbecue

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
The Great American Barbecue contest and festival in Bonner Springs, Kansas just concluded, and I just gotta put in a plug for my family and friends that were entered. Smoke Me Tender (my BIL's team) took 9th place for ribs and 19th overall, out of 190 teams in the sanctioned meats (chicken, ribs, pork, brisket). In the non-sanctioned "sides" contests (beans, vegetable, potato and dessert), they were 5th overall and received a perfect score on their dessert entry- Banana Split Cheesecake, it is to die for! I'll try to get a picture and post it, their presentation is really killer as well as the flavor. www.smokemetenderbbq.com

Another team, the Grillas, one of my husband's friends since grade school is a member, they took Reserve Champion overall. And, it's the second contest in a row they have been Reserve Champions.

My only regret, we were just too busy to go out there and snarf up some of their leftovers!

That looks like it was a lot of fun. Your BIL et al are really doing well. If they ever decide to come to the Pig Jig in Georgia let me know and I'll arrange some free accomadations for them in trade for some some scraps. :mrgreen:

Don't you have to cook a whole hog at that one?? That is something they haven't done yet. Their smoker has 2 doors with the steel "body" between the openings so I don't know how they would get it in and back out without "damage".

Plus, they just don't have the budget or the free time right now to travel that far and compete. And they don't have a restaurant or catering business to make it tax deductible like so many of the teams. It's expensive enough just to pay the entry fees and buy all the meat and supplies for a local contest.

But it sure would be fun!!! Hopefully someday.

I know they do whole hogs but I don't know if its mandatory. If mandatory, they'd be more than welcome to use Wilbur II as long as they don't use one over about 300 lbs. I'll even furnish the wood of course this would require a few more scraps. I understand the distance but if they ever get a wild hair the offer is there.

Latest posts