American Royal BBQ 2010

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
The American Royal BBQ contest was held this weekend. 512 teams entered. From all over, including outside the U.S. The "opening party" was Friday night, what a zoo that was. Bunch of teams had bands, DJ's, etc., plus there were 23,000 visitors from the public through the gates, big fireworks display, etc. Quite an event! The team party we were there for had a keg of beer, ham, ribs, pork butt, fresh made egg rolls and crab rangoon, slaw, beans, etc. Anybody went away hungry it was their own fault!

Our family's team took first place for beans. I am sooooo happy for them and proud I just had to post it. Out of ALL those teams, first! The beans and side dishes are not sanctioned and tracked in the official results by the BBQ society, but it is still a big deal to me.

In the sanctioned meats, their best placing was 39th for chicken (out of 512, that ain't so shabby). They were in the top 100 for pork and ribs but the brisket got done early and was a little dry and so it tanked at 450th. They finished at 158th overall. Again, out of 512 teams, many of them "big dog" teams, I think finishing in the top 1/3 of the competition is very respectable.

My Internet is down at home, when it gets fixed I'll try to add some photo's......

Fantastic! I hope to attend the Pig Jig next month just as a visitor. Entry fees and all seem a bit expensive for me to enter so I plan to just walk around and be a sampler.

Did they change there recipe for their chicken a lot or did the use the same as basis as last year's winnings. Guess what I'm getting at is how much do you think the rankings have to do with the whim of the judges? Its gotta be hard to judge when you are judging top notch Q like those that would enter something like this.

It's impossible to predict. Sometimes you turn in something that is so good it makes you drool for another taste but the judges will not score it well for taste. Sometimes you don't feel good about it at all when you turn in the box, and it scores really well. The judges have been thru training and there are guidelines they are supposed to follow, but it is still very subjective. Some people like a little spice, a little sweetness, etc. So the "taste" score is subject to the whim of the judge and their personal palate.

At one time, chicken was the team's most consistent product and they were ranked in the top 5% for chicken out of the 3,000+ teams that the Kansas City Barbecue Society tracks. In an effort to climb on up the ladder, they started "improving" their chicken and it didn't do nearly as well. They have now gone back to the simpler preparation they were doing before, but are still experimenting with rubs and seasoning.

Jo, hope you enjoy the Big Pig Jig! I have seen footage from it on tv and it looks like quite an event. From the photo's and recipes you post, you really should try a contest. I bet you have more experience than most rookie competitors. One of the hardest things is the turn-in times. Too early, your food gets cold and won't score well. Too late, you are disqualified. At home, when it's done, it's done, and if it's not at a precise time, nobody cares. But in competition, the timing is critical. You should at least take the training course to be certified to judge; sometimes it is offered for free if they are low on judges in an area.

I remembered their chicken scores and this is why I asked. I've heard that judges seem to have random trends at times. Sometimes wanting sweet or spicy but there is no way to predict the mood of the day. I think they are wise to go back to their original recipes cause sometimes if you try too hard you mess up.

They do have a judging class that I thought would be interesting but I'm going to pass due to time. I helped a judge cook in South Carolina this summer. I was really looking forward to picking up some tips but it turned out he didn't know squat about cooking it and it was the worst BBQ I've had in years.

Friends of ours went to a chuckwagon cookoff in texas last month, I think maybe lubbock. The won the bird competition. They were pretty lit up since the ones that came in second have been the national champs for last umptydozen years. Some kind of big national deal is coming up but I have no idea when or where.

I've never been to one of these things but from what I gather people really take it seriously. I hope to visit my first one next month. Looks like it could be a lot of fun. I've seen some of the chuckwagon cooking and that looks interesting and fun as well.

The Kansas City Barbecue Society sanctions events and has member teams from coast to coast. I am sure there are other BBQ organizations out there, but as far as I know, KCBS is the biggest one and the major events fall under their umbrella. www.kcbs.us
They offer judge training/certification.

MO_cows":2ihm3pz5 said:
Our family's team took first place for beans. I am sooooo happy for them and proud I just had to post it. Out of ALL those teams, first! The beans and side dishes are not sanctioned and tracked in the official results by the BBQ society, but it is still a big deal to me.

It should be a big deal. That's awesome.

Latest posts