Barbecue

Help Support CattleToday:

Both. Either. Sauce after cooking cept for ribs and chicken. None of the above excpet for vinegar brine on feral hogs. Absolutely wood. Pecan mostly but mesquite is great - there's two cords of hickory outside but I aint impressed - never tried oak.

My maternal graddaddy was a Blalock - same Blalock family that owns the Blalock chain and started the Bodacious chains. He's where most of my early learning came from.

Store bought bar-b-que sauce or sauce purchased period is fighting words around here.

Doing a bar-b-que for over 100 folks is just too much work. Takes all the fun out of it no matter how good it turns out. Doing it for hire takes the fun out of it too. Doing it for 20 to 40 friends and family is about perfect for the effort.

Some of the rigs posted on here have been impressive but it really don't take all that to do good bar-b-que. Its better to have a good rig tho. I am about to build a new rig myself. Gonna try to get the most bang for the amount of wood used. Hot water kit too for river parties in the pasture.

Best friend has a rig that will smoke 35 briskets. I do the sauce for him at the annual picnic. I have vowed to never borrow that rig again or do anything that big. I don't mind helping him one iota but only if its his shindig. I hit the burn out well over 20 years ago.

Chickens weren't mentioned but all is well since I don't do chickens in the first place.

Looking forward to seeing other replies myself.

Copenhagen & Shiner B":3lhqu2c4 said:
MO_cows":3lhqu2c4 said:
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Wood, and Yes!
Where are you from outside of KC? I had an army buddy from Garden City.

Garden City is a good 80 miles from here, it's quite a bit south of Kansas City on 7 hwy. Good land around there, mostly flat just kinda low rolling hills and lots of creeks and ponds. We're east and north.

WOOD:I usually cook with pecan when I can get it but I also like using post oak,blackjack oak, and hickory too. Mesquite is too strong.
SAUCE: I have two different sauces. I have a vinegary sauce for pork and a more ketchupy sauce for brisket. I did make an Alabama white sauce one time for chicken.
MEAT: I like cooking briskets and pork shoulders. I do not like cooking whole hogs because they often do not cook even and there is a lot of waste. Briskets are catching on in South Carolina.

Copenhagen & Shiner B":3q9d9nat said:
Mesquite is too strong.

Yes. After the meat has had "enough" smoke, seal it in foil to stop the smoke purge. Keep it sealed and let it simmer inside the foil for the duration. Works great for me. Also stops the meat from drying out too much if you have a dry cut.

"Where the sand meets the clay." I'm going to bet this probably makes you strattle the fence on your choice of sauce. You wouldn't happen to know Pete Willis do you? He's been making BBQ for around 40 years in SC. His pit is open 5 times per year and you'd better call ahead cause when he's out he's out.

I prefer pulled pork and ribs. Prefer the sauce on the side. I like all sauces but lean toward a tomato based sauce but mustard is fine too. Vinegar is for goat. I pecan simply cause I have an unlimited supply of it and every time the wind blows I have that much more to burn so why waste it.

He lives between Rock Hill SC and Charlotte. He makes great pulled pork. You'd like it if you like the vinegar. His is a mixture of tomato, mustard and vinegar. Its really good.

I don't think there is any one "right" way to barbecue. Long as you know the difference between barbecue and grilling. There are regional differences, personal taste choices - sometimes you are in the mood for one thing, sometimes another. But in general, ribs shouldn't need sauce. Brisket and pulled pork, I like sauced because they are usually on a bun. Chicken, a nice sweet/spicy glazing type of sauce put on at the last part of cooking does it for me.

Wood, oak lump charcoal for the base coals and pecan or apple wood for the "flavor" smoke. Hickory is real big around here and there's lots of it, but I always found it to have a bitter taste. Mesquite is great to grill over but it's a little strong for long smoking to me.

I wanna try "dinosaur bones" or beef ribs on the smoker. Anybody done those?

Very timely thread, my in-laws do competition bbq and they just called, they are test-cooking on their new smoker later this month and we're invited. Can't wait!

Jogeephus":12eavjvm said:
He lives between Rock Hill SC and Charlotte. He makes great pulled pork. You'd like it if you like the vinegar. His is a mixture of tomato, mustard and vinegar. Its really good.
I wonder if he is the fella that they call Red as in Red's Barbecue that lives in Edgemoor(just outside of Rock Hill) that cooks on straight pecan?

I've probably eat just about everything that a person might would even think about eating, cooked on a Bar-B-Que. Cooked on everything imaginable, from in the ground to on top of some old bed springs. Its funny how things a deer camp seem so good at the time.

backhoeboogie":3ro3zdo9 said:
[Yes. After the meat has had "enough" smoke, seal it in foil to stop the smoke purge. Keep it sealed and let it simmer inside the foil for the duration. Works great for me. Also stops the meat from drying out too much if you have a dry cut.

I guess I'm bacasserds or something, because I usually start out with the meat and spices sealed in foil. And after it is done to where it is falling off the bone, I will take it out and let it smoke until it firms up. I like to put the sauce on while its smoking. Just seems to me when it is cooked this way the juices tend to keep in marinated. Just my preference.

Copenhagen & Shiner B":3t1g3p1p said:
Jogeephus":3t1g3p1p said:
I wonder if he is the fella that they call Red as in Red's Barbecue that lives in Edgemoor(just outside of Rock Hill) that cooks on straight pecan?

No, Mr. Willis's place is north of Rock Hill on India Hook road near Lake Wylie. He doesn't have any signs and doesn't advertise. His business is strictly word of mouth. In the beginning, his partner (now deceased) was one of my dad's close friends and he gave dad the recipes for their sauces and mops. Don't know if they are the same today but they are pretty good. The pair started it as just a way to make a little folding money. Now its a pretty big thing with shipments made all the way to Alaska. (I'm told) But he still just cranks up five times a year and uses teachers and students as part time help during these times. I can't say if his Q is that good or if he is just a good marketer but he has been very successful with it.

backhoeboogie":pc7ucfym said:
Copenhagen & Shiner B":pc7ucfym said:
Mesquite is too strong.

Yes. After the meat has had "enough" smoke, seal it in foil to stop the smoke purge. Keep it sealed and let it simmer inside the foil for the duration. Works great for me. Also stops the meat from drying out too much if you have a dry cut.
I always wrap my brisket in foil after it has been cooking for a while. BTW, I cut and split more than 3 pickup truck loads of hickory today(thank God for my friends wood splitter). I can't wait until I get a chance to cook with that hickory.

Hello !! Was just looking around here and found barbecue, just had to read all, this my second love. I have just bought for a Pit Cooker and it is a gas one, hope it will do what I would like to do. I want to start doing more with pork and the way I usually cook is in a pit 6' deep and about 25' long or longer depending how much beef we need usually around 225lbs for our fire department at the 4th of July. Have done pork but is hard in a pit. I could have gotten a wood burner cooker when I ordered this one but have never used one, I have used gas some so went with this, I would love any help that any one offered do hope I'm not imposing on here if I am I apologize. 101

Latest posts