Great American Barbecue

Help Support CattleToday:

Makes me think of that commercial
Aluminum foil = $2.99
Perfect ribs = priceless

If you move them to a cooler zone in the smoker, and/or mop them or mist them, you can probably do about as well without foil.

I spritzed some with apple juice last year and they came out great. Next "experiment" I'll try the spritz, mop and foil. I agree that the cost of foil is nothing compared to perfect ribs. We do love our ribs. :nod:

While we're on the subject of foil, make sure you get the commercial grade foil from Sam's Club or a resturant supply house. Once you use this stuff, you'll never go back to the cheap-o stuff that you find in the grocery store.

grannysoo":1emhpis2 said:
While we're on the subject of foil, make sure you get the commercial grade foil from Sam's Club or a resturant supply house. Once you use this stuff, you'll never go back to the cheap-o stuff that you find in the grocery store.

Thanks. My wife just picked up a huge roll of it today for $20. I can live with this. Better quality and better price too.

Well the team did another contest this weekend, in Raytown, Missouri, 60 teams. They took home a ribbon for their chicken, scored in the 20's for ribs and pork, but tanked on brisket this time at 58. They recently modified the smoker, added a plate to try to even out the hot and cool zones and I think they are still on the learning curve with it. They have taken home at least one award at every contest this year, not too shabby!

MO_cows":35eq7jvu said:
backhoeboogie":35eq7jvu said:
My Momma was a Blalock. My maternal Grandaddy was a Blalock brother. They taught me.

:dunce: Sorry, don't quite understand. They taught you how to barbecue??

Blalock's Barbeque or Bodacious Barbeque obviously don't operate in your area. If they did, you'd understand. Much of my maternal family including cousins and distant cousins own and operate either under the Bodacious or Blalock franchises.

Most contests exclude professionals. I can claim not to be one. :D

OK, now I get it. Nope, that chain hasn't made it this far north yet. I did get to try some excellent Texas bbq one time. At an awards banquet for a Corriente show, the caterers brought in brisket smoked with pecan wood and it was to die for. But then they had to go all Tex-Mex and put jalapenos in the tater salad. That's just wrong! :lol: :lol:

There are pro teams allowed in the contests sanctioned by Kansas City BBQ Society. Teams that have catering businesses, bbq restaurants, etc. There will be a lot of these "big dogs" in the American Royal this fall :banana:

Yes. Pecan wood is my favorite wood to smoke with. Especailly brisket. You can slow smoke for a day and a half with it without wrapping the meat. Mesquite is okay, really easy to split with an axe only, and abundant around here. It is a strong smoke and it burns hot so you have to limit your input. It does not work well for me on a slow smoke but it great for a quick job when time is limited. It is best to wrap (seal) your brisket after about 4 hours. Splitting mesquite is like the axe splitting you see on television in the old westerns. Three weeks after it is cut you can split it into tooth picks with very little effort. Hickory is just to much work on the wood splitter. When they put that pipeline through my place in East Texas they took out a lot of old growth hickory. I cut it into 8 foot pieces and filled the flat bed and hauled it home. I cut it into smaller pieces once I had it here. After a few hogs were smoked, I went back to pecan and sold most of that hickory.

Latest posts