Grazon Ratio Question

Help Support CattleToday:

scheff

Reaction score
I'm a little confused about how much Grazon to use in my sprayer. I'd like to add some to a 30 gallon sprayer pulled behind a 4 wheeler. It has a small 5 foot boom with three nozzles. (from tractor supply). Assumming I'm pulling at 3 mph - how much Grazon should I add to the 30 gallons of water. I also use the hand sprayer to try and knock out some small to medium huisatche in the pastures. Same question for 2 4-D as I'd like to try both for weed and brush control. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sheff--you mix the strength according to what you are trying to control. Travel speed and coverage at that speed is next. Ya need to first determine how much (in gallons per minute of mixed solution) your sprayer is putting out, then compute how long it takes to cover 1 acre at 3 mph with that boom's coverage.
If your boom is the Fimco atv boom with a red fan nozzle in the center and yellow nozzles on the outsides, it puts out about about 3.5 GPM, covering 25' to 30' wide swath. I have one similar, and tho I don't use Grazon, I do spray 2,4-d and remedy, mixed at 1 qt each per 100 gallons of water which equates to about 7 oz of herbicide applied per acre at 4 mph with my tractor or atv.
You should have some paperwork that came with your unit that includes a table to figure application rate at different speeds and pressures.

I'm guessing, for a 30 gal tank, you would mix about 11 oz of 2,4D per tank of water. 30 gal is about 1/3 of 100 gal.
32 oz=1 qt----1 qt per 100 gal.
1/3 of 1 qt=11 oz.

BUT, nozzle flow & pressure will change that if your setup is different.

greybeard":3l0qvovv said:
Sheff--you mix the strength according to what you are trying to control. Travel speed and coverage at that speed is next. Ya need to first determine how much (in gallons per minute of mixed solution) your sprayer is putting out, then compute how long it takes to cover 1 acre at 3 mph with that boom's coverage.
If your boom is the Fimco atv boom with a red fan nozzle in the center and yellow nozzles on the outsides, it puts out about about 3.5 GPM, covering 25' to 30' wide swath. I have one similar, and tho I don't use Grazon, I do spray 2,4-d and remedy, mixed at 1 qt each per 100 gallons of water which equates to about 7 oz of herbicide applied per acre at 4 mph with my tractor or atv.
You should have some paperwork that came with your unit that includes a table to figure application rate at different speeds and pressures.

I'm guessing, for a 30 gal tank, you would mix about 11 oz of 2,4D per tank of water. 30 gal is about 1/3 of 100 gal.
32 oz=1 qt----1 qt per 100 gal.
1/3 of 1 qt=11 oz.

BUT, nozzle flow & pressure will change that if your setup is different.

GB I prefer the teejet nozzle on open pasture and the Hamilton set to 90 degrees on fenceline.

http://www.dultmeier.com/products/0.811.816/3146

http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/boomles ... 56065/cl1/

When I built my sprayer, I did the following:
1. Fill the sprayer with just water
2. Spray your pasture, then measure in acres how far I got.
3. If I was applying 21 gallons of water per acre then I would 20 ounces of 2,4 d per 21 gallons. If I am spraying remedy I add 7 ounces per 21 gallons.

A 30 gallon sprayer will run you to death filling and refilling. I built a sprayer like greybeard has. I had $270 in it.

Latest posts