Grazing Winter Wheat

Help Support CattleToday:

k-t farms

Reaction score
Hi guys I've been reading this forum for 2 or 3 years and just now got motivated to register.

We currently have 112 pairs grazing about 15 acres of winter wheat, we had always planned on grazing it just not this late in the year. We are hoping to get about a week worth of grazing with possibly supplementing with a bale if need be in the corral where they come for water. We have another wheat field slightly bigger that we are hopping to get another week off before we move them to a small pasture. The whole point of this is to give the pasture they were on almost a full month off.

My first question is do you think we can get a week of off 15 acres with 112 pairs ?

What do you think about the econimics of grazing it instead of harvesting it granted it was never going to be that good with the amount of rain we have had this year?

{img}{/img}
I know the picture doesn't add much I just wanted to practice posting one.

agree with above....
if your are going to do intensive grazing then limit the grazing with some portable electric fence....how intensive is up to you but I would break it at least inot thirds and give them a section at a time....