Grazing corn stalks, cash rent price?

Help Support CattleToday:

redcowsrule33

Reaction score
I'm going to talk to a neighbor about renting a field adjacent to us for corn stalk grazing, but want to be prepared with an offer. The corn looks really good compared to a lot as it is wetter land, so I expect it to yield well for him at combining. I will have to install a temporary electric fence to get it done. I have seen articles talking $7-$12/acre. Does this seem reasonable? Is anyone else doing this and is willing to share what they are paying? Thanks!

I would probably lean closer to the 7 than the 12. I graze plenty of stalks, but on owned only. The big factor for me is how long the cows will be on it, and how much harvest loss there is. Might want to mention the free manure he would be getting as well.

I know a guy who mentioned the free manure and the guy told him that the nutrients were already there, the cows just transplanted them. He also said he'd rent it to him if the guy would pay for chiseling the ground afterwards. He said he wanted 8 bucks to chisel the ground.
The days of cheap cornstalks are gone.

Maybe, but at that price I still can't buy baled constalks. They're going for more than hay was last year. Plus, I need to give my sacrifice area a rest. In my situation they are going to have to chisel it next year anyway whether the cows go out or not.

Latest posts