Grasshopper questions

Help Support CattleToday:

CJohnson

Reaction score
I have a lease that is coastal bermudagrass that has a heavy infestation of grasshoppers. We are cutting it now, it was not sprayed. I am planning on putting out fertilizer and cutting it again. My home ranch is same grass and similar soil type, 10 miles away, same rainfall and does not have many grasshoppers at all. In fact, I have never needed to spray for grasshoppers on our home ranch.

Do I need to spray the lease after cutting the hay, or will they go away / die after the hay is cut? If I need to spray, could you get by just spraying the perimeter / fencerows / under trees or would you need to spray the whole place? Any idea on why this place is infested and my home place is not?

I have used liquid seven. There is also Sevin 5 Bait which I have not used.
After mowing they will move to the neighbors and simply come back after the grass grows a bit.
Grasshoppers can consume many tons of hay. For some reason they seem to like coastal bermuda over the tifton 85.
I,m not spraying this year as the hay is already marginal as to weather to cut or not, due to lack of rain.

I am anal about grasshoppers 300 of the little devils eat a day's worth of cow feed a week.
Liquid Seven is the best, spray the field in strip's, make a pass and skip over 75 to 100 feet and make the next one.
The main thing is to get your fence row's and ditches around the field as this is where Mrs. Grasshopper likes to set up house and lay her egg's.

Latest posts