Grass, water, and cows combine for a pretty picture

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Day before Yesterday- I Checked on cows- and grass, water, and cows paint a pretty picture... Last night it rained another .3 again... With the Milk River about to go over our road- I wish I could send some of the dry areas a few days of this rain... But knowing this country- by mid July we may be thankful for it- and praying we could get more...

Down the spring coulee- water in every hole..

Little Bannon 2BY Bull was making his rounds checking out the girls... Too busy to even stop and get a cake treat...

Big Coulee has water holes all the way down it..

And Up it..

Yearling heifer standing in water hole chewing her cud... Got it pretty easy- stand one spot eat, drink, chew cud, ----whatever...

Cows and calves hanging around the dam at the bottom of spring coulee... The yellow flowers are Arnica which is showing up everywhere this year...And in some places the hills are solid yellow... It only shows up every few years when conditions are just right...

Very nice Oldtimer. The cattle and the country are both nice.

I thought you might be interested in this. These are trees.
IMAG1282.jpg

Deepsouth":1akhf723 said:
Very nice Oldtimer. The cattle and the country are both nice.

I thought you might be interested in this. These are trees.
IMAG1282.jpg

:lol2: :lol2: :p Well if I went a couple of miles west in that pasture - I could have found a few of those too down by the creek... But they are few and far between in this country...
I get claustrophobia if you can't see for a few miles in every direction.... ;-)

Trees are way over-rated imo. All they do is drop needles, leaves, limbs, fall on your house, barn and fences and obscure the view.
I seriously considered moving to the below linked place at one time and might yet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notrees,_Texas

OldTimer--those are some beautiful pictures, and good looking cattle. I wouldn't care much for your winters, but it sure looks good now.

greybeard":1pa4k161 said:
Trees are way over-rated imo. All they do is drop needles, leaves, limbs, fall on your house, barn and fences and obscure the view.
I seriously considered moving to the below linked place at one time and might yet.

OldTimer--those are some beautiful pictures, and good looking cattle. I wouldn't care much for your winters, but it sure looks good now.

I agree trees are way over rated. I spent years cutting them down in attempt to open this country up but some idiot timber company kept following us around planting new ones.

My daughter is south and west of OT a ways. There are plenty of trees where she is.

Things are looking good there OT. Nothing like content cows on green grass.

I have pasted your way before. Montana, Big Sky Country. Winters can be bad but not as bad as most people think. Oh, if we could only be here for about 500 years. The places we could spend some time in. The things we could do.

Tux, if you have never been out west. You must go. See the Tetons. Yellowstone Park. And no place in the US is cowboy country like Wyoming. Not as pretty as Glacier Nat Park or some of the passes in Colorado. But Wyoming is the place where cowboys are cowboys and sheep are nervous.

Great pictures. I love that Milk River Country. Not many trees there but plenty up in the NW part of Big Sky Country.

PS. Oldtimer, if you ever get a chance, post a picture or more of the Ft Peck Reservoir. It always reminded me of an inland ocean. Not many people would ever know there is that much water in Montana. In fact, people have been caught unaware by 6 foot waves out on it and some never made it back in. And you ain't fur from hit.

inyati13":16fz6jgj said:
PS. Oldtimer, if you ever get a chance, post a picture or more of the Ft Peck Reservoir. It always reminded me of an inland ocean. Not many people would ever know there is that much water in Montana. In fact, people have been caught unaware by 6 foot waves out on it and some never made it back in. And you ain't fur from hit.

Yep- the Reservoir is quite something... People often don't believe it when you tell them we have almost twice as much shoreline as California (California has around 800-- Fort Peck Reservoir has 1520).... ;-) And set in the badlands of the Missouri Breaks it has quite the rough scenery....

:lol2:
greybeard":1kktio89 said:

:lol2: Ya'll would hate my place, I am in the middle of a woods. :tiphat: Sure enjoy seeing everyone's pictures. Thanks for sharing. Have a great Friday. :wave:

Nice pictures, the girls all look happy.. I've been to montana once a long time ago, and didn't get far into it.. I think I got about as far as Columbia springs (it is columbia springs and not colorado springs right?)

We'd like to grow some Arnica here.. it's great for sore joints, etc

Oldtimer, you mentioned the Missouri breaks. This is a story and you may even know the family. I worked with John Patton from about 2000 to 2005 in Montana. He was about 72 back then. His family had a large spread over in eastern MT. He told me about his Grandfather who was born in the 1870s. He came to MT with a young wife and homesteaded in that area of the east prairies not far from the Missouri Breaks. He said his grandfather lived with them, he was his mother's dad. John Patton's mother always made John go to church which he didn't like. But his grandfather could stay at the ranch. He said he ask his grandpa, "Why do you not go to church." Said I don't see much use in it son. He said, "Grandpa, don't you believe in God." He said well, "When I started here, it was hard. My first wife died here having her first baby." I worked hard to build a herd and russlers stole them all and took em down in the breaks and I never got'em back. I married your grandma and she lost one of her babies. I have been drug by horses. Kicked in the knee so bad when I was young I limped my whole life. I have been frozen half to death. Dought has about ruined me several times. I never had much but this ranch and never went anywhere. Life has been tough. So don't follow me son, but if there was a Lord, he sure didn't care much about me." John said, he looked at his Grandpa in wonder. He said, "grandpa, what do you believe will happen to you when you die?" He said, "Son, I think when you are dead, you are just a longtime dead."

That is the way John told me that as a true story. John said he graduated from Montana State University in Bozemen. He came home after graduation. His grandpa said, John take me to Mile City. He drove the distance to Mile City. He said go in that saloon and get me two fifths of whiskey. His grandpa was an alcoholic. He said he drank one on the way home. He was in his 70s or so. They pulled up in front of the ranch house. There was no gravel just dust since it was a dry spring. Grandpa got out and fell down in the dust, dead as a door nail.

inyati13":cn30jjxy said:
Oldtimer, you mentioned the Missouri breaks. This is a story and you may even know the family. I worked with John Patton from about 2000 to 2005 in Montana. He was about 72 back then. His family had a large spread over in eastern MT. He told me about his Grandfather who was born in the 1870s. He came to MT with a young wife and homesteaded in that area of the east prairies not far from the Missouri Breaks. He said his grandfather lived with them, he was his mother's dad. John Patton's mother always made John go to church which he didn't like. But his grandfather could stay at the ranch. He said he ask his grandpa, "Why do you not go to church." Said I don't see much use in it son. He said, "Grandpa, don't you believe in God." He said well, "When I started here, it was hard. My first wife died here having her first baby." I worked hard to build a herd and russlers stole them all and took em down in the breaks and I never got'em back. I married your grandma and she lost one of her babies. I have been drug by horses. Kicked in the knee so bad when I was young I limped my whole life. I have been frozen half to death. Dought has about ruined me several times. I never had much but this ranch and never went anywhere. Life has been tough. So don't follow me son, but if there was a Lord, he sure didn't care much about me." John said, he looked at his Grandpa in wonder. He said, "grandpa, what do you believe will happen to you when you die?" He said, "Son, I think when you are dead, you are just a longtime dead."

That is the way John told me that as a true story. John said he graduated from Montana State University in Bozemen. He came home after graduation. His grandpa said, John take me to Mile City. He drove the distance to Mile City. He said go in that saloon and get me two fifths of whiskey. His grandpa was an alcoholic. He said he drank one on the way home. He was in his 70s or so. They pulled up in front of the ranch house. There was no gravel just dust since it was a dry spring. Grandpa got out and fell down in the dust, dead as a door nail.

The name does not ring a bell- but it sounds much alike many of the hundreds of stories I've heard of the old homesteaders and Missouri Breaks folks... Many of those that homesteaded in the Missouri Breaks got ran out with the building of the Fort Peck Dam- the government bought their land and flooded them out with the resulting lake...