Grass seed mixed into loose minerals?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richardin52

Reaction score
I read once that if you put about 50 - 50 loose minerals and grass seed and let the cows eat it free choice that the cows will spread seed as they eat the minerals.

I am sure some seed does go through a cows gut and is still viable just think of mustard seeds in your garden when you use cow manure.

Anyway I tried it once on regular pasture but could never really tell if it was working. I'm planning on opening up some old grown up pasture and was wondering if anybody else has tried this and have any insights as to what they have found. What grass seed has the best chance of making the trip through the gut etc?

The only seed that I've heard of it working with is clover. The hard seed is more likely to pass through without damage. Maybe timothy would too because of the seed. I know that some fescue seed passes through ecause it will come up in fields that cows graze after they've been on fescue. I just don;t think it's financially a prudent way to do it.

If you have unlimited $$$$ to waste Richard try it your way.. if you value your $ and how hard you worked for it spread the seed yourself I guarantee you get better results. I have some spots needing TLC I use my 4 wheeler and yard tow behind spreader to fix spots but over seeding I use 3 pt hitch spreader.

I 've had the same thoughts myself. I don't think you would have to mix it 50 - 50 just a few handfuls in the mineral would suffice I think...in the fall of the year might be better. Something else that may work also is to just let a paddock go to seed....the birds I think spread more than is realized.

Banjo":bydbvnke said:
I 've had the same thoughts myself. I don't think you would have to mix it 50 - 50 just a few handfuls in the mineral would suffice I think...in the fall of the year might be better. Something else that may work also is to just let a paddock go to seed....the birds I think spread more than is realized.
That's sort of how we reseed weak areas in the pastures. When it goes to seed and the seed will shatter I just run the bush hog over it high enough to clip it but not cut but a tiny bit of leaf.

I agree I let my stuff to to see and clip as well but If you have the seed on hand and need it spread why not just spread it where you want it and control where its getting spread and at the rate you want it. I just cant wrap my head around trying to rely on a bovine to do it.

skyhightree1":118jelqr said:
I agree I let my stuff to to see and clip as well but If you have the seed on hand and need it spread why not just spread it where you want it and control where its getting spread and at the rate you want it. I just cant wrap my head around trying to rely on a bovine to do it.
Other then clover the only seed I spread is stuff from this farm. The seed the accumulates on top of the brush hog gets bagged up and used when/where needed.

dun":jq9tnk8v said:
skyhightree1":jq9tnk8v said:
Other then clover the only seed I spread is stuff from this farm. The seed the accumulates on top of the brush hog gets bagged up and used when/where needed.

very resourceful... I need to spread clover heavily in my pastures this year but I will mix it with fertilizer and spread it or use my lil hand held spreader and walk and spread in thin places.

Dun,

That's a great idea! I've never thought of that before. When I mow my orchard grass for hay on the first cutting I sometimes have large amounts of seeds left on the cover. I normally just sweep it all off in one big pile in the field when I'm done. Putting it in a bag and throwing it back out with a spreader is a novel idea! Thanks!

Kyle

tnwalkingred":d9qc7xka said:
Dun,

That's a great idea! I've never thought of that before. When I mow my orchard grass for hay on the first cutting I sometimes have large amounts of seeds left on the cover. I normally just sweep it all off in one big pile in the field when I'm done. Putting it in a bag and throwing it back out with a spreader is a novel idea! Thanks!

Kyle
Sometimes you justa gotta be CHEAP

Its not just about being cheap, but you have seed that is acclimated to your area instead of seed grown all the way across the country. Persist OG, which is quickly becoming my favorite grass for IRG, is about $2lb. now

lespedeza seeds real good that way each pile will be full of new plants if you have some go to seed while they are grazing it. some people claim birdsfoot trefoil does good also, but I think just the hard seed works that way. never got too much trefoil coming that way myself, but I did not mix it half, only put a couple of cups to a half bag of minerals

I broadcast some loose mineral once--that was left when I changed to high mag mineral, and it killed the grass after the first good rain.
Too much salt content maybe?

greybeard":1s2z5hjq said:
I broadcast some loose mineral once--that was left when I changed to high mag mineral, and it killed the grass after the first good rain.
Too much salt content maybe?

I would bet that its salt. I am tempted to tell my customers to place salt down on their gravel driveways cause I dropped and busted a bag on the ground of mineral salt that's granular and grass didn't come back for almost 2 years.

Salt drives the Ph way down if I remember correctly. When I was a kid we would have to go thru the cornfield with a bucket of salt and throw on the johnsongrass spots.
In ancient times one of the things the Romans would do to a conquered foe, would be to salt their fields so nothing would grow.

salt *shouldn't* change the pH... it does make everything just need a whole lot more water though... We have burdock around here and we hack it off at the crown and put salt on it, it'll dry it out and kill it pretty good

wanna kill a tree? put salt around it...hate yer pricipal? dump a bag of pool salt in his yard. salt is one of the best weekkillers..

Latest posts