Grass Management

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazyacre

Reaction score
I read with interest the post a few days back on aging cows by teeth. There were some interesting responses about teeth condition being related to good pasture management. I think it was CB who said we need to think as grass farmers first. What do you feel is the most important thing in pasture management?

I don;t think it's a simple enough issue to have one part of mangement more improtant then others. All aspects have to be balanced for any pasture to be an efficient producer.

If I could pick one thing, it would be having the right balance of grass types so as to extend the grazing for as long as possible. After all, it does little good to have one grass type that might produce 16,000 lbs of forage in 5 months when you got to feed the cattle for another 7. Ideally, I would like to have it where I never have to feed the cattle at all - of course I would like to do this with as high a stocking rate as possible too. (Yeah, I want my cake and want to eat it too.)

You take care of the grass and it will take care of you. You have to put back as well with fertilzer's or legumes that put back. You will hear people to tell you to plant coastal,bahia's, tifton etc.
The secret is finding what produces the most grass on your soil for the longest time with maximum head of cattle. I have about five different varities growing mainly bahia and three varities of bahia. I also have common bermuda, Alica, African Star, Dallas grass growing in different pastures almost forgot the Red River crab grass. Crimson S-1 White Dutch and Rye, are getting after right now.
IMO I believe it as simple as being a grass farmer.
Good Grass= good teeth and better health.

I had a guy ask one time what is the best grass I responded what grows best in your pasture.

I agree with the replies above. There is an important factor involved. As the price of oil and gas escalates so does the price of products we use on the farm. With these rising prices I believe we need to rethink the way we raise our forage. We may be going back to the way grandpa did it, before we had commercial fertilizer. More winter clover and also summer legumes. More working with nature and probably a lower stocking rate. It may mean making money on fewer cattle rather loosing money on a lot.

Good grass management is both an art and a science. The science part of how grass grows, the nutrients required, stubble height, etc are reasonably easy to explain. The art of how to put that to work for you in your pastures is a little more difficult. There is a lot of variation from region to region and even from field to field. There is certainly differences from year to year. So the management is always changing and adapting to the conditions.

Latest posts