Grass Finishing

Help Support CattleToday:

opensky

Reaction score
Questions for my fellow grass finishers:
Have you ever finished on legumes (in this case it would probably be alfalfa) and what were the results?

Tips or tricks for finishing bulls?

I have a three year old bull that is ready to be butchered and has been on clover for the past week or so. I just put him on grass again. Wondering if I need to wait a period of time or if I can go ahead and butcher him. I also have a two year old bull that I'm considering castrating now and butchering in the fall. In both cases there's potential to finish on legumes but was wondering if it resulted in poor flavoring.
THANKS!

opensky":34smqgbx said:
Questions for my fellow grass finishers:
Have you ever finished on legumes (in this case it would probably be alfalfa) and what were the results?

Tips or tricks for finishing bulls?

I have a three year old bull that is ready to be butchered and has been on clover for the past week or so. I just put him on grass again. Wondering if I need to wait a period of time or if I can go ahead and butcher him. I also have a two year old bull that I'm considering castrating now and butchering in the fall. In both cases there's potential to finish on legumes but was wondering if it resulted in poor flavoring.
THANKS!

First, there is no point in castrating grown up bulls.
Finishing a bull is a matter of energy, there is often more energy in grass than in legumes. Legumes in the diet does not necessarily mean poor flavour if it is not in too extreme proportions.

Latest posts