Grass Finished Bull Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

razephroot

Reaction score
Looking for some advice. We have 50 black cows that have some Angus and some Brahma influence. We just bought these and new bulls are clearly needed as a few show some signs of inbreeding. I am leaning towards looking for a medium frame Black Angus bull, but would like to hear other's opinions. Other ideas we have are Brangus, Red Angus, South Poll, and Limousin. Our goals are to save heifers for breeding and market the steers right off the grass as finished animals. Thanks for the thoughts. We're in Middle Georgia...Twiggs County. Thanks.

I am admittedly biased but.....for grass finishing you need early maturing cattle. That also usually means smaller frame. In your situation it sounds like you have a good fit for a third outcross breed. Red poll, Murray grey or a new grass specialty breed SquareMeaters. The SMs are from Australia where grass finishing is the norm for the local market. The major breeds have all gone to breeding later maturing, bigger framed cattle for the feedlot export market. There are a few SM breeders here in the states. One breeder in Colorado has about 30 head, I'm here in Indiana and I have 35. There are smaller numbers now placed in Louisiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Iowa and North Dakota. The only bull direct import scored a perfect 10 on the Igenity DNA test for tenderness and 9 for % choice. I'd love to tell you more if you are interested.

I would suggest you get in contact with CT member Jogeephus for some of his certified Georgia Grown genetics. It will be expensive but well worth the money. :tiphat:

Just speaking from experience as we are grassfed finishers here in Australia. Our breeds of choice are Angus or Murray Grey cows with Limousin or Lim-Flex (Limo X Angus) over top of them.
I disagree with the comment about Continental X not suitable for grass finishing. Granted you need moderate frame easy fleshing type Continental sires, but we have found the Limos in particular make the progeny hardier, good forigers & effient grass converters. We love our Limo X calves so I am somewhat biased. In situations where environment & pastures aren't good enough I'd recommend a 1/2 blood sire.
As for squaremetres I appreciate the concept behind them but I'm not sure whether they are commercially suitable as a breed unless your market is suited to small carcass weights.

How small are Squaremetres? average mature weight.
I agree that Simmental also could be used - if you used a moderate, easy fleshing bull - but - that's going against the "mainstream" expected for grass finish. You have to remember that here in US, we don't have 24/7/12 grass for grazing in many parts of our continent.

Red Bull Breeder":p8y6wsgm said:
I would suggest you get in contact with CT member Jogeephus for some of his certified Georgia Grown genetics. It will be expensive but well worth the money. :tiphat:

Good advice. Soon Jogeephus' stock will be the highly prized certified "Georgia Crown" . :tiphat:

IMO there is no magic breed or line of genetics within a breed that will revolutionize your grass finishing system. Sure the right genetics and breed type are a good start but if you don't have the quality feed and management system in place to optimize the feed and genetics you will be struggling to finish them prior to that dreaded second winter.

SquareMeater cows are about 1,000 to 1,100 lbs. Bulls go up to about 1600. Frames score are 1 to 3. Short legs but shank meat isn't too valuable. Early maturing, I have to get the clean-up bulls out early as we have had heifers cycling at 7 months.
Mojaxcow

Red Bull Breeder":3mkt7ua9 said:
Quailty of forage would be a major factor and the timing of when the calf needs it most to finish.
This bloke speaks a lot of sense re: type, timing & forage

lakecity experiment station has done research on this with a red angus herd , it has the results on their web sight

Latest posts