Grass fed

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
I was at the whole foods market the other day, I sell my eggs to them, and I saw Yogurt and Keiffer in the dairy bin. The label read, milk from grass fed cows. Is the milk better if you only feed grass. Are there any problems by just feeding grass?

it would be more "natural". probably tastes pretty good. (assuming there are no wild onions, lol)

dairy cows can have a hard time keeping condition on just grass.

Just part of the scam that anything that eats anythong other then grass is unhealthy.

I'd be highly skeptical that any dairy cow was fed "just" grass. They wouldn't have much milk to market. :p

born2run":2ft53lpa said:
I'd be highly skeptical that any dairy cow was fed "just" grass. They wouldn't have much milk to market. :p

A few of the seasonal daiyrs may feed just grass, the question is, what kind of grass. Not that kind of grass. Rye, winter wheat could maybe do it. There may be others kinds in his part of the world that would provide adequate nutrition during the non-traditional grazing periods. Or feeding hay may still constitue feeding garss, amybe even silage. Corn is a grass, with a little semantic bending that could even work.

Beefy":3bajczgd said:
it would be more "natural". probably tastes pretty good. (assuming there are no wild onions, lol)

dairy cows can have a hard time keeping condition on just grass.

Yeah, or bitterweeds. Man, I love me some milk. Fill a coffee cup full of cold milk(2%) about 2:00 or 3:00 in the a.m., drink it down, that's one of the finer things in life. :)

How would the store know that the cows were fed just grass? I'd say its a false gimmick.

GMN