grass fed Holsteins

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
I want to only grass feed my Holsteins. How long do I have to give calfs -- calf starter? I was told that they cannot survive on just grass when they are young. When can I transfer her to just grass.

hillsdown":2z85k7eo said:
First what is the end result for your calves?
\

I want to milk them for myself and friends. Make butter, cheese etc. I do not expect them to produce large quantities of milk. Just quality I am looking for.

lancemart":1xi32jla said:
hillsdown":1xi32jla said:
First what is the end result for your calves?
\

I want to milk them for myself and friends. Make butter, cheese etc. I do not expect them to produce large quantities of milk. Just quality I am looking for.

Well the reason we feed dairy calves differently is because they are bottle fed and weened at 3 months and we go for a certain frame structure so they can milk well when they calve.

If these are just for you than I would say you should be safe to raise them safely on grass if they have been on milk and a good ration before hand.

However when you want milk from them grass and just hay give a different taste to the milk and probably won't give you a very high butterfat%.

But essentially the answer is yes you can grass feed Holsteins.

How old are they now and what have you been giving them?

If you get rid of parsites. You still have to grain them if you want any milk to do what you want.You can get by with feeding them 4# a day till freshen Then at least 8# a day for some milk. AS far as butter fat you will have to grain.For good quality butter, cheese & ect.You might want to consider in a jeresy or guernsey.Their fat is a little higher they don't eat like a holstein does.

Feeding grain to dairy cattle is to help keep their weight up.
GRASS and HAY make milk--not grain.
Think about it....all those mama cows out in the pasture that never get any grain.....they make plenty of milk to keep their little ones growing and happy!
Jay

Jay":gyyibusn said:
Think about it....all those mama cows out in the pasture that never get any grain.....they make plenty of milk to keep their little ones growing and happy!
Jay

I've seen very few momma cows in a pasture milking 70 pounds plus a day though.

dun":35ahkw8w said:
Jay":35ahkw8w said:
Jay

I've seen very few momma cows in a pasture milking 70 pounds plus a day though.
I have to agree with dun on this one. That's why they have a category in a ration balancer called net energy of lactation. Takes lots of energy to produce milk. Grain is for more energy dense then any hay or grass that I'm aware of. As far as grass-fed, your not going to get the fat content from lush grass as you would from dry hay.

we had a old cow that would give well over 120lbs a day.an she did that on 20lbs of grain a day more or less grass pasture an hay.an she milked like that for almost 2yrs.we bought the cow an she was prolly just fresh but we never really knew.she never did breed back.so when she dropped down to nothing we weighed her up.gave $390 for her.an sold her for $700 weigh price.

BigBull that's how it is with those high producers. Had one that topped out at 135 lbs. per day and at 18 months was still milking 85 lbs. Came down with clear watery mastitis that I absolutely could not get cleared up with any medication (even extra-lable stuff)....and she was still open as well. Had paid $400 for her as a packer in Florida, hauled her and 40 others back to Texas. Don't recall what she brought when sold but sure hated to see her go. We fed a TMR but I bet she could inhale well over 60 lbs. of dry matter per day. A real eater.

I have to agree with dun on this one. That's why they have a category in a ration balancer called net energy of lactation. Takes lots of energy to produce milk. Grain is for more energy dense then any hay or grass that I'm aware of. As far as grass-fed, your not going to get the fat content from lush grass as you would from dry hay.

But also for a family milk cow you don't NEED 70+ pounds (9+ gallons/day!).
Yes, grain is energy dense....giving Mama cow more energy to sustain her weight.
When the grass is up and green, I get 1/2 cream 1/2 milk. On just hay (alfalfa or grass) I get about 1/4 cream.
DON'T underestimate grass----it is truely cow's living food!
Jay

Jay, grass truly is a cow's living food and organic gardening is also the natural way. Unfortunately you can't feed the world using either method. :( But for home use both are great. :lol:

because of the intense selective breeding that has produced the modern Holstein cow....grass fed may no longer be an option for her!

funky 4-Her":3vezz1gy said:
You could always start them out on grass and if they arn't producing like you want them to then supplement them with grain.

Funky grazing has always been the cheapest way to produce milk. Only problem is that you limit the cows potential production even if it's excellent quality grazing. Your holstein won't milk much better than John Doe's brahman on the same grass. But you should be able to get a couple of gallons per day minimum out of a holstein. There are some intensive grazing dairy operations around here and all they do is constantly rotate cattle from pasture to pasture and fertilize again and irrigate when necessary. IF you're only wanting milk for youself and friends then this should work. You'll need plenty of hay especially in wintertime. And contrary to what a couple of posted, grain does not make butterfat... correct grains and grain by-products can increase milk protein but actually tend to depress butterfat. Grass and hay should be your best friends regardless of how you chose to run your operation. Best of luck to you.

Latest posts