Grass Fed Marketing Claim Standard

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":kxmrh9v3 said:
I think the more scams and marketing gimmicks are out there the better... At some point people will have to take the responsibility upon themselves to determine if they approve of the way an animal is raised, fed, slaughtered, etc and it will cut out all the middle-men in the marketing because the only way they can know is if they talk to the person that raised it.

What gets me is the major fast food chains claiming their chicken is antibiotic free... Last time I went to buy chick feed it was all medicated, and I don't think any barn that has 50,000 of them would last a day without it.. So evidently the definition of "antibiotic" isn't what I'd think it is, nor what the average consumer thinks it is...
Same goes for 'hormone free beef' they're touting... Leaving aside whatever you or I may think of the negative/positive effects of it in our food, considering the VAST majority of calves go through at least 1 sale barn, and probably through several ranches/feed lots, etc.. who's to say they didn't get Ralgro at branding time?

It's ALL bullchit and people fall for it.. perhaps they'll wake up someday and see they've been duped.

I doubt it, Nesi. My daughter and DIL are both highly educated women and they both believe that the way to tell if eggs are "organic" they are brown even after telling them that brown eggs come from brown chickens.

sim.-ang.king":wwv6tpwu said:
Most Certifications are scams. Just ask Jo, he gave me a "Certification of Certification" for just 3 easy payments of $59.95!
He musta seen you coming--he let me have mine for a one time payment of $12.49, (shipping incl), and threw in a set of (As Seen on TV) Ginsu steak knives fer free.

greybeard":3r9el84h said:
sim.-ang.king":3r9el84h said:
Most Certifications are scams. Just ask Jo, he gave me a "Certification of Certification" for just 3 easy payments of $59.95!
He musta seen you coming--he let me have mine for a one time payment of $12.49, (shipping incl), and threw in a set of (As Seen on TV) Ginsu steak knives fer free.
That crook!
I wonder if I can get a refund?

IABeef":1by33dph said:
One of the funniest labels is "Farm Raised Beef" :lol2:

I've got one better than that! I've seen ads on TV for vegetables, not sure which brand, DelMonte or Green Giant --------------- "Farm grown". :roll: :roll:

I guess I shouldn't laugh, after all, there are a bunch of hydroponic products out there.

Lavacarancher.. Then how to robins make blue eggs?

Most hothouse stuff.. tomatoes, peppers, cukes are all hydroponically grown... worked at a few major producers in my packaging technician life... but they're still considered 'farms'.

Part of the problem is vague language.. what is a farm? Is any place that produces food a farm? Is it like in "old McDonald" with sheep, chickens and cows? Most golf courses are on agricultural land and considered farms though.
As long as the language stays vague it'll be exploited.

sim.-ang.king":37e9if4a said:

Heh, but you are certified are you not? What more do you want? Zippers on your bananas? Got them too. You want natural, organic, humanely grown, carbon neutral, yellow or certified yellow?

BTW - you need to send me the annual $100 payment so I can certify that you are certified. I'll send the certification out as soon as your check clears. :lol2: :lol2:

Nesikep":xkvdp3kq said:
Lavacarancher.. Then how to robins make blue eggs? By golly, Nesi, I think you may be on to something. We could market them as organic miniature chicken eggs and if asked how do you tell if they are organic you can say because they are blue! :lol:

Most hothouse stuff.. tomatoes, peppers, cukes are all hydroponically grown... worked at a few major producers in my packaging technician life... but they're still considered 'farms'.

Part of the problem is vague language.. what is a farm? Is any place that produces food a farm? Is it like in "old McDonald" with sheep, chickens and cows? Most golf courses are on agricultural land and considered farms though.
As long as the language stays vague it'll be exploited.

Karin":3vrocq5q said:
True Grit Farms":3vrocq5q said:
Named'em Tamed'em":3vrocq5q said:
Alfalfa is a legume ,but still considered grass fed.

A legume is not grass, totally different plant families.

And yet the grass-fed marketing labels still sell beef as "grass-fed" even though forbs, including legumes, are fed--or grazed--by livestock.

So M-5 is absolutely right, though I wouldn't call it a "scam" per se more like a marketing tactic that has been over-used and abused by many, consumers and producers alike, so that it's lost all meaning. Such beef should be more labelled as "Forage-Grazed Beef" or "Forage-Fed Beef" to be a little more accurate.

Grass-fed is a stupid term because all beef cattle are grass-fed, just not grass-finished. Darn marketing...
. Mayb but, I'm using a grass type bull right now . The heifers I retained if you grain them, they go lay down for half the day or better, before they go back to grass ..put out a bale last month to them , they got about half of of it eaten if there's a thread of grass out there...they had rather rustle it... They do what they were bred for..as for how they are marketed? But I'm using the bull for personal reasons not out to pimp em...

backhoeboogie":2ofaww4x said:
True Grit Farms":2ofaww4x said:
A legume is not grass, totally different plant families.

So is clover. Are these "grass fed" or "totally organic" people killing off the natural clover? :D
I guess pasture finished rather than grass would be more correct.

And then there is the grass fed but finished on grain people - doesn't say how much grass for how long but buyers will think it is healthier.

Pasture raised, fed and finished pretty much covers ours I think.

IMO, grain finished beef tastes better. But I have no problem with someone who likes grass finished beef. To each their own.

Jogeephus":34vmez0l said:
sim.-ang.king":34vmez0l said:

Heh, but you are certified are you not? What more do you want? Zippers on your bananas? Got them too. You want natural, organic, humanely grown, carbon neutral, yellow or certified yellow?

BTW - you need to send me the annual $100 payment so I can certify that you are certified. I'll send the certification out as soon as your check clears. :lol2: :lol2:

Don't forget to check all his CEUs.....