Grain Vs Cracked Corn, Quick Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Kenany Farm

Reaction score
Hey guys i,m looking for a quick answer.

I usually buy Cracked Corn by the ton to feed to my cattle in the winter, i usually buy the ton for 200$ (7 55 gallon barrels) or i get a discount for more than 2 tons, right now a friend of mine told me about that mill that we can buy a ton of 20% grain for 300$, so is that better than corn considering price, and Crude Protein value of either?

Thanks

If they could provide an analysis of the "grain" mixture, we could probably answer your question better. It would take a mighty good feed to be worth $300 a ton. Their a little high on their ground corn to btw.

Kenany Farm":3dcprow8 said:
Hey guys i,m looking for a quick answer.

I usually buy Cracked Corn by the ton to feed to my cattle in the winter, i usually buy the ton for 200$ (7 55 gallon barrels) or i get a discount for more than 2 tons, right now a friend of mine told me about that mill that we can buy a ton of 20% grain for 300$, so is that better than corn considering price, and Crude Protein value of either?

Thanks
My question would be "what do they consider a grain mix"??? It could contain anything

$200 ton = 10 cents a lb
$300 = 15 cents a lb
#2 shelled corn 10% protein
20% grain mix would be a starter feed mix for baby calves

If you wanted to increase protein fed to your cattle...
mixing corn 4:1 with grain mix would = 12% protein and cost 11 cents a lb.
And would give you a 20% increase in protein per lb fed for only a 10% increase in price.

IF you fed 10% less of the 4:1 mix you would still be getting a 0.8% increase in protein fed for the same cost
of what you are currently spending.

Kenany Farm":43ta1sk4 said:
Hey guys I'm looking for a quick answer.
I usually buy Cracked Corn by the ton to feed to my cattle in the winter,(7 55 gallon barrels)
Quick answer... buy 6 barrels of cracked corn, 1 barrel of grain mix and blend when feeding.

Son OF Butch, that does make a lot of sense, i will do exactly what you said. thanks man

For those who asked about the analysis, the Ingredients are:
Wheat middilings, distillers dried grains, corn, red dog flour, soybean meal, cane molasses, and some minerals, vitamins, and mineral oil.

20% Cp
3% Fat
9% Fiber
A.D.F 13%
(Ca) 1.20 min to 1.70 max
(P) min 0.60%
salt 70 to 120 %
(Se) 0.60 ppm
Vitamin A min 5.900 iu/lb
Vitamin D min 1.100 Iu/lb
Vitamin E min 25 Iu/lb
i only feed the cows grain when it is below freezing weather, and after march calving

Kenany Farm":184ehr1j said:
Son OF Butch, that does make a lot of sense, i will do exactly what you said. thanks man

For those who asked about the analysis, the Ingredients are:
Wheat middilings, distillers dried grains, corn, red dog flour, soybean meal, cane molasses, and some minerals, vitamins, and mineral oil.

20% Cp
3% Fat
9% Fiber
A.D.F 13%
(Ca) 1.20 min to 1.70 max
(P) min 0.60%
salt 70 to 120 %
(Se) 0.60 ppm
Vitamin A min 5.900 iu/lb
Vitamin D min 1.100 Iu/lb
Vitamin E min 25 Iu/lb
i only feed the cows grain when it is below freezing weather, and after march calving

Pretty darn good mix. Looks similar to the analysis on a very high quality 20% breeder cube. Give your cattle 4-5 lbs per head per day to supplement low quality hay.

Latest posts