grain trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
thinkin bout lookin for a used grain trailer that has a auger on the bottom and a boom so i can load feed into itto use it to load barrels instead of me shoveling it

the pellets are pretty small not like range cubes ior nothin...more like kibbles and bits size

how big a tracor to run it and im thinkin if they make em like a regular road goin tralr instead of an off road farn type
any thought on how it would work and how much for an old beater used one

gary

Gary I use a gravity flow grain wagon for everything from pellets to cottonseed. I just put an old bath tub or wheelbarrow under it and let out what I need. I would think you could find one for $800 or so.

I don't know how well do those grain trailers do on the highway. I have to go 42 mi to get feed and almost bought one, but i wasn't sure how it would work pulling at highway speeds and that far. I don't think they were built for highway use, but i'm not for sure. Someone on here should know though???

My Dad just bought a gravity flow wagon at a local Lions club auction, and it pulled fine for him to bring home a load of corn.

I have a gravity wagon I use. I have it on a raised dirt pad in the barn, so I can run my loader bucket under the shute. I looked at one to today, that had a metal trough where the shute is with an auger on it. The auger works off the tractors hydraulic's. It's on Craigslist, Huntsville,Al. under farm Asking $1400. Made an offer of $800. He came back with $900. Hope this aint against the rules???

dieselbeef":28c0ayd0 said:
what im talking bout..ill take it...mmm..how far is ala...hmmmm
:lol: Florida panhandle is similar to Texas......one helll of a drive before you get across it....

i bought a bar kit in the panhandle..it was worth the drive..its somethin that cant be had local what else ya gonna do..i got a diesel and a gooseneck ill come git it....

1k is cheap enuff for me...i need one ..shoveling 6 ton of cattle feed into barrels is a time consuming chore i could do without...

A used gravity box is what you want.Gravity is more reliable and cheaper than any pto set up.

Consider an independent electric auger if you really think you need to auger, then you can use it anywhere.

How are the pellets delivered to you now?

oscar p":134ugjkz said:
The auger with the gravity wagon in question works off the tractors hydraulic's.

What would it cost to repair/replace the hydraulic components?

Not gonna argue , if the fella wants rolling stock, let him pay.

Not knowing his exact situation I lean toward a vertical bin.

i buy it by the dump trlr load. i got aq 7x14 i haul it in and off load it into barrels. an independent auger would work also . all i wanna do is not shovel it into the barrels and auger it instead.
i figured the trlr would also get me another storage bin
a vert bin or silo wont work cuz i have no way to get it into the top. its a very small margin biz so i cant be blowing a bunch o cash on bins and screws to save my back from shoveling.
a small elec auger about 16 ft would do....but it wouldnt get me any more storage. i figured if i got a grain cart i would just convert it to electric drive motor( or gas) instead of runnin it offa my pto.

havent seen either one anywhere local tho

any help either way works

thanks
gary

a portable screw auger might werk also..like a 4 or 6 about 15 ft long..elec drive or no drive..i can rig an elec motor

dieselbeef":2vngbw7x said:
a portable screw auger might werk also..like a 4 or 6 about 15 ft long..elec drive or no drive..i can rig an elec motor

Now you got it. A 1 horse motor and $200 worth of auger that will last you a lifetime.

A standing bin - you gotta make the call - will it increase your property value? Then it mmay have just paid for itself.

dieselbeef":19f82nnt said:
i was hoping ya might just tell me how sir...aint had much luck figurin it out

gary

I don't know your set up Gary, my farm had a 70 ton metal bin ( aerated ) and a 20+ ton grain storage room built into the second floor of the main barn. I use a 25 foot long, 4 inch diameter auger to move grain from the bin to the feed room. I had to replace the auger the first year I was here, less than $400 new, not including the motor which still works fine.

The second floor storage is gravity fed down a pipe to the feed room.

LOTS of internet specs on constructing your own storage ( my second floor one is lined with metal roofing on the inside ).

Just giving you something to think about, my BIL has a grain buggy to store feed for his sheep, the only problem he has had is the tarp coming off and spoiling feed, he has nowhere to get it inside.

As far as hauling buggies at highway speeds, that really has Darwinian connotations. :lol:

Latest posts