GPS system

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Could any one suggest a GPS that could be installed on your tractor to help in guiding to prevent overspray or underspray when spraying. I do not want to spray to wide and miss some weeds and spray to narrow and overlap and waste herbicide. I would like it to be resonable in price and easy to use.

We have two systems by John Deere Northstar. One is a GPS stearing system that we use to plant rice in stubble fields where a row marker is very difficult to see and also to lay-off rows in a plowed field. We also have a light bar system that we use on a 90 ft boom sprayer. I'll get some more info on the light bar system.

I had the centerline unit, sold it. For irregualr shaped fields it wasn;t particularly accurate. At the turn of a pass it was also a pain to wait for it to get itself figured out where it was. Got a foam marker, never any doubt where I've sprayed and where I haven;t.

This is my first year with an S-Lite by Outback Guidance, and its working extremely well. It was cheap at a thousand bucks, works very well on contoured fields, fires up quick and is quick for guidance on both passes and on turns (instant, no delays at all). Its 6 to 12 inch accuracy (the model up, the S2 is 3 to 6 inch accuracy) and I certainly don't miss having to be swivelled around backwards all day long making sure I'm seeding in the right place. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't have a running acre counter. It will give you total acres when you make an opening round, but thats it.

Next year we plan on another 4WD and we'll likely be putting an S2 with Autosteer in it. <chuckle> If I'm gonna pretend to be a dirt farmer, might as well have all the toys too :)

Rod

Rod
A fella down the road who has a heck of a time driving straight when palnting corn bought a S3 with eDriveTC. Something is seriously wrong with his and no dealer around knows how to service units only sell them. He was able to plant straigher without it than he could with it. Without it I didn't think anyone could plant worse but the S3 with eDriveTC proved me wrong.

I suspect he's got his sensitivity set too high. When I first put our S-Lite in, the steering guide looked like a Christmas tree until I turned down the sensitivity. There is also a software update on the net for the S3 that he may need to install. As far as the service side goes, our first unit shipped with corrupted software and the down arrow button wouldn't work. I called in and Outback overnighted a new unit to us. Has he tried calling Outback at all? Thats probably his best stop, versus a dealer. When we bought the unit, we were specifically told that the dealers only sell, they don't service. I thought it odd, but at least you know that who you're talking to knows something about the unit (or at least should).

Rod

Latest posts